1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Birds:Cofusion and arguing:

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggmachine11, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I was just scrolling threw some threads,researching,etc seeing what others have to say about the red birds( As in,Red sex link,Production red,Rhode Island red,Newhampshire.)I am making a thread on this to stop arguing and set things straight.
    Begging the arguers to please STOP!

I should probably start off with the way the Hybrids were created.
    1 of the most Common Sex links are the Red sex link,short for which many call,the Golden Nugget,Red star,Cinnamon Queen,Golden Comet,Golden Sex Link etc.
    The Production red is another Hybrid that is almost mistaken for the Rhode Island Red.
    The Production red is mainly ALL Rhode island Red,which may explain the reason many people call it the,Production RIR.And the PR is more seen as a RIR,just lighter colored.They lay X/large brown eggs.Many use the breed for "Pure" egg production,mainly because the RIR is listed,a number 1 egg layer.Leghorns I do believe were added to the Production Red to increase egg production.
    Production reds occasionly will sometimes have stray white tail feathers,or even a few white specks on the neck.
    A Production hen may weigh up to 7 POUNDS,a pullet will average at,6 POUNDS,the cockeral will average about 8 POUNDS,while the rooster bays at 9 POUNDS!Incredible weights!A production red will lay up to 200 to 280 eggs per year.

Hybrids(Sexlinks),are the only birds that can be sexed at birth.Mainly because it has something indicating male from female.Like most breeds,the red birds have atleast 1 simple thing to depart them from another red bird.Red sex links are white(Specks) with a orange reddish brownish mixed coloring on them.You have to actually know weather your Sex links are laying the brown eggs or the Production red is.Red sexlinks do not all lay X/large eggs.Most times,their not even dark eggs,maybe ranging a light brown or almost a lightish darkish brown egg.This breed will start laying earlier and mature faster then most standard breeds.A Red sexlink hen can average from 5-6 pounds,a pullet can weigh,51/2 pounds,a cockeral weighs 71/2 pounds,while the rooster bays at,7-8 pounds,WOW!
    We should talk about the red sexlink rooster.What is so interesting about this guys breed is,the rooster isn't indentifeid as the hen is (Brown reddish orangish,with white specks all over.).The rooster has his own style,He has brown on his back,and white everyelse,and possibly black on his wings.

Thanks for reading the Hybrids section!

Maybe we should start on with Newhampshire.The "Proper" and mostly correct way to say this breed is,New Hampshire,no RED!It was bred with the RIR blood lines ONLY.They rapid feather,and mature fastly.They are also becoming famous across the world because of their egg production,and characteristics.They lay nice sized brown eggs.

Most of these breeds are bad about brooding,but I have only had the red sex link brood on me,and that was when she was I guess you could say,a teen.Good luck with the Red Bird OWNERS!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    I hate to throw a spanner in the works but a hybrid is a chicken which has three or more genetic parents. So not all of the above "hybrids " are actually hybrids because they are a cross between only two genetic parents is. Light Sussex x rir which is what many red sex links are.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There will always disagreement on these birds.

The only why a Production Red is going to weigh that much is if there overly fat.
    A Production Red hen is going to be about 4 to 4-1/2 pounds with cocks weighing right around 5 pounds. Sex-links are about the same.

My Rhode Island Reds tower over these hybrid/ crosses in over all height and weight and the cocks weigh in at around 8-1/2 to 10 pounds.
    Most people don't know what the term Rhode Island Red means, Rhode Island (place of origin) Red (breed name) and the correct way to abbreviate Rhode Island Red is R.I. Red, not rir or RIR.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  4. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I got the weighta from reading CackleHatcheries info.

5. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I agree Chris09.I felt my hen,and she weighs maybe 3 or 2 pounds.

6. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Red sexlinks would be a Hybrid.Same for Production red,(Mentioned it is bred with 3 different breeds.)

7. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Although I do believe they weights are possible,I have heavy hens.

8. maxsgoldens

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    7 pounds is the weight of a turkey hen

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Depends on the breed of turkey and how well it was bred.

A well bred Bronze hen can weigh 20 pounds and toms 36 pounds
    A well bred Midget White is right around 10 pounds and tom around 13 pounds.

Now a turkey from a hatchery is going to be smaller than one from a good breeder.

If you have a 7 hen turkey she is way under weight and size....

10. maxsgoldens

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    My point is a red sex link isn't going to weigh the same as a turkey. Whether it is large or small is besides the point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by