red / black star chicken personality

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by math ace, Jan 16, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I was on the "my pet chicken" web site looking at their information on the STAR breed chicken. It described their personality as " RUGGED".

I don't know what rugged means as a personality. Does anybody have STAR breed chickens and could give me a better idea of their temperment?

Thanks for the information

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have one, but my neighbor does. I would call red stars curious, good foragers, and not skittish or shy. * I would guess they picked the word rugged because the coloring is kind of splotchy and thus they don't look as pretty or delicate as some breeds. My neighbors hen IS pretty though and lays extra large and jumbo eggs pretty much everyday.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, but I forgot to mention, the star across the street is not a quiet chicken, kind of talkative.

Most Red Stars are a cross between a Delaware and a Rhode Island Red. So maybe look at their personalities to get an idea of what you might get in a Red Star.

4. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    I have red star hens and they are very friendly and talkative,
    I can pick them up and handle them very easily.
    As far as a rugged personality I don't know what they mean by that.

5. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I have 11 red stars. They have great personalities. They follow us around our property, come when called, and let us pick them up. They are also excellent layers.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I really really love both my red sexlink and black sexlinks. I think Queenie is what they call a Red Star. Anyway.
    They are curious, outgoing, a little on the talkative side, non-skiddish/not-flighty, and VERY fun to have around!! I think Queenie is my best "pet" chicken, and a good layer too. The up and coming black sexlinks have also been VERY fun to have around!!

I'm not sure what "rugged" means either. Queenie likes to escape by methods OTHER than flying over the fence. She's definitely a ranging and rugged chicken, but I'm not sure if that's what they mean! lol Maybe they mean that they put up with a lot of handling ?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My black sex link is WONDERFUL... and so is my Cinnamon Queen. Great layers.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i had some Red Stars. They were very good layers, outgoing, curious, ingenious - but tended to be maniacs when it came to treats. They would throw themselves at the treat bowl and i had to put out two dishes so my BO and EE could get a bite. Perhaps it is best to have just one in a flock, or maybe a whole flock of them without other chickens. This was just my experience and may have been a unique situation.

9. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have only one red star, I think she's funny the way she comes running when called. She is just turned 18 weeks and has started laying even in this crazy winter. She likes to be held too [​IMG]

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well that settles it!

The next batch of chicks I get will include the red stars.

Is there any difference between:

red sex link
    red stars
    production red ? ?

Are they three names for the same breed?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by