Red bottom:diarrhea but is eating and not egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickieLinds, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ChickieLinds

ChickieLinds In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    New London, PA
    My girl has a red bottom and has been "leaking" white poo. She is not egg bound and is eating and drinking. She is running a bit funny on one side.
    We have bathed her and her comb is still a good color.
    We have her yogurt and a raw egg yesterday. Any idea what is going on with her bottom?
    We adore her and would hate to lose her

Attached Files:

2. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Songster

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen! Can you give us more info? Does her abdomen feel hot? Does it feel swollen? Have you noticed your other chickens picking at it? Also, about the diarrhea, what color is it? I know that in the summer my chickens will have watery poo when they get too hot. I hope your able to help her!

3. ChickieLinds

Apr 9, 2017
    New London, PA
    The other hens are not pecking at her. The diarrhea is white and just seems to "leak" from her vent. She looks swollen to me but I can't really tell cause my other girls have feathers on their bottoms.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @ChickieLinds

What does the swelling feel like - hard, soft, fluid filled?

The white could be Vent Gleet it's hard to tell.

Sometimes swelling of the abdomen can be an indication of internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Symptoms include loose droppings that sometimes look like egg/egg matter, swelling of the abdomen or a fluid filled abdomen, difficulty walking, going off feed, weight loss and sometimes labored breathing.

If you have a vet that can perform a fecal float test on a fresh poop sample they can also rule out worms, cocci and bacterial infection.

Vent Gleet:
    https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

LittlePip21 and ChickieLinds like this.
  5. ChickieLinds

Apr 9, 2017
    New London, PA
    Thank you so much for the great advice. After looking at the article on vent gleet I think that may be the issue.
    We will try anti fungus cream and try to get some nystatin.
    I really appreciate all of the help!!

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds good!

Keep us posted on her progress.

ChickieLinds likes this.
  7. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Songster

Feb 5, 2017
    Definitely keep us posted! I'm so glad you have an idea what it is!

ChickieLinds likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: