1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Breasted Geese Rare?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by J's Orpingtons, Nov 23, 2011.

1. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    HI BYC , I was wondering does anyone know if Red Breasted Geese are Rare ?? I looked them up on the internet and they look amazing but it also said something about being in endangered !?? ! [​IMG] I have choose I'm definatly getting geese but was put off Chinese because some friends said they can be very aggresive towards kids ,,, But these geese seem small , Im asking this cause someone in my area is selling a unrelated pair ! But are they Rare and Endangered ? [​IMG] Thanks heres a pic of some I found on internet :

[​IMG] [/img]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    These are a exotic species. Yes you can own them. They are usually quite expensive. They are wild geese so they will be able to fly unless you clip wings or they are pinioned . Depending on your area you may have to have a permit. If you really like them and can care for them properly I say go for it. [​IMG]

3. J's Orpingtons

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Thanks Kevin. Yes they are pinioned . And the man who's selling them is Cote Peasantry and Exotic Breeds well thats what he calls his business [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    If it is a reputable breeder than this could be a great addition to your farm. However, i must warn you that some exotic geese are much to aggressive to be kept with other birds especially during breeding season.

5. J's Orpingtons

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    If I get them I think I will make an enclosure for them ... I know they are grazers but what about a very big enclousre what size do you think it should be?

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    That depends. Do you plan on just having the pair or keeping some of the babies?.Alsp are u just going.to have that species or do you plan on adding others?

7. J's Orpingtons

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Quote:I plan to only get a pair for breeding and I do not plan to keep the babies

8. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    If your only keeping the pair you wont have to have huge enclosure. However geese can be very destructive and.could over graze quickly if the pen is not large enough

9. J's Orpingtons

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Quote:Thanks for your advice [​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Its no problem. Were all one big family here at BYC. We love to help each other out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by