Red Broiler chicks eat all their own POOP

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bradleyjpyle, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bradleyjpyle

bradleyjpyle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    I have a batch of 2week old red broilers...

Feeding broiler rations, fermented feed, ACV in water, and raw milk occasionally.

It appears as if they enjoy eating each others poop. The brooder is devoid of any poo and I have many, many times watched one squat and another scarf it right up....

Why do I bother using a feed dish and bedding?!

Might as well use the feed as bedding and remove the feed dishes altogether because they seemingly prefer the taste of there own poop over the feed I am giving them.

Am I to be concerned of any health concerns for these "treat tasting" meaties?

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Ew. I've only raised cornish cross but they poop and don't eat it. Although, I did notice this morning that their poop looks like it's full of grains, maybe because I haven't been soaking it lately. Maybe your guys like the grains the second time around?

3. bradleyjpyle

Sep 11, 2012
    I dunno. They keep the brooder super clean.... but the stupid things, i fear, are going to get sick.

4. coberdor

coberdor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    I'd raise them on a wire bottomed brooder, then all the poo falls through and they have very little they can eat. You're going to have a problem with coccidiosis if they keep eating poo.

5. bradleyjpyle

Sep 11, 2012
    Yes I was thinking cocci actually last night when i was looking into it more.

The new brooder is being mentally planned right now, no more poo eating

6. coberdor

coberdor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    I've made a couple of brooders out of free baby cribs off Craigslist. The old kind can't be used as cribs anymore, so people often give them away. I use the spring botteom and add plastic hardware cloth which is easier on the feet. I use the cement mixing plastic boxes underneath that I made sliders for. Put sweet pdz in the boxes ans clean daily with a cat litter box slotted cleaner.

I cover the sides with cardboard, that I just throw away and replace, attach with zip ties. I get free old cardboard display panels from the science teacher after the science fair. Most kids don't want them back, so they are discarded.

Very cheap to make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by