Red broilers and freedom rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickensrfood, Dec 25, 2010.

1. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Are these basically the same type of cross?

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    basically, yep.

they are both slower growing colored broilers developed more for production in a range-type setting.

if you get freedom rangers most of what you get will look like the redbro-type.

3. chickensrfood

Jul 24, 2010
    Ok that is what I thought. I ordered a handful of RB with several new hampshire reds. I can only pick out 2 of the broilers so far. The NHreds must grow pretty quickly themselves.

4. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    unless you got all runt red broilers... you'll be able to tell difference in no time [​IMG]

yum!

5. chickensrfood

Jul 24, 2010
    Awesome. So far the wing feathers that have come in are the same color on both.

6. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    My RB's from Ideal had tree trunk legs from the day I picked them up at the post office. They were huge compared to other chicks.

7. chickensrfood

Jul 24, 2010
    2 of them are really large. So maybe the other 4 are hens and just taking a little longer to grow out. The Barred rocks in the mix look tiny compared to the NH and RB.

Or maybe they messed up the order no clue since none were marked. These are from Ideal as well.

8. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    That could be, my hens are smaller. Check all the legs, the broilers should have thicker legs. I didn't have any chicks with them but I was shocked at the size of their legs at first glance. Hope you enjoy the broilers, this is my first run with Ideal and broilers, so far so good.

9. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:how far along are your red broilers? do you have any pics of them?

ETA oops..i just saw your other post where you say they are 8 weeks old.. do you have any weights for them?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by