Red broilers and RIR chicks look to alike, What to do??

muddychicken2

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut
I Just recently received my new chicks and my red broilers and RIR chicks look identical. Can't tell the difference between them at all. Also got production reds which look just like the RIR's. I'm totally lost and don't know what to do for the feeding since I've heard broiler feed is bad for the layers. 99% of the chicks are the same size so there is no telling there. Any suggestions?

I Just recently received my new chicks and my red broilers and RIR chicks look identical. Can't tell the difference between them at all. Also got production reds which look just like the RIR's. I'm totally lost and don't know what to do for the feeding since I've heard broiler feed is bad for the layers. 99% of the chicks are the same size so there is no telling there. Any suggestions?
At this stage of life you're probably ok. Typically a RIR will use a 22% or so protein ration, where as you go with an 18% for CX broilers to slow their weight gain and give them time for bone to develop. Red Broilers/Red Rangers are slower growing birds, which means you can start them on a higher protein diet. If it were me, I'd probably look for a starter around 20% protein. In about 3 weeks you should be able to tell who's who. Broiler and starter generally have about the same level of calcium, where layer has about 4X as much. That said, you can move everyone to a broiler ration at the 4 week mark until you're certain who's who. I generally transition to layer a point of lay or about 24 weeks or so. I also give them plenty of grit free choice and add oyster shell free choice around 20 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom