1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FREEZE's CHICKENS, Jan 20, 2011.

1. FREEZE's CHICKENS

FREEZE's CHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    Hey, i have 76 Red broiler chicks right now. that are 2 weeks and 2 days... any GOOD TIME to sell them? i was think 4-5 weeks! let me know what your ideas on that are please! and also how much i could.. or should be selling them for.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    sell them for what?

3. FREEZE's CHICKENS

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    as meat birds...

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh well, in the case of meat birds most people set a weight target, some 3 lbs, some 4 some 5 . . . it just depends on your market.
    Then how you feed and manage is going to affect that date as well. ie; feeding a lower protien is gowing to result in a later date for target weight. again price for meat birds is usually determined on a per pound basis, there are a lot of threads on here discussing what people are charging in different areas. Do some searches [​IMG]

5. Paul Ewing

Paul Ewing Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Boyd, TX
    If you are going to be selling them as ready to eat, they will be with you for a couple more months at least. Standard range seems to be 3-4 pounds, but many people like them up to 6 pounds dressed. Red Broilers are slower than CornishX, but much faster than regualr dual purpose breeds. Figure at least three months to get to weight.

Last year we got 30 of the Ideal Red Broilers. At 13 weeks we processed the 10 biggest roosters and the biggest of the 10 weighed 4.02 lbs dressed minus feet and organs. The smallest was 2.99 lbs. Most were in the 3.25 to 3.5 lb range. We got just over 2 lbs of organs and 2.3 lbs of feet from the 10. I had really hoped for another pound of body weight out of them. The other 18 that are left (we lost two) were mostly pullets and were done at 15 weeks with a similar mostly 3.25 to 3.5 dressed weight range. This was in an 8x10 Salatian style chicken tractor with free feed.

We processed around 80 dual purpose roosters last November. Most were in the 4-6 month range and averaged 3.5 to 4.5 pounds with a couple older ones in the 5 pound range and a number of young ones in the 2 to 3 pound range.

Cheers, Paul

6. FREEZE's CHICKENS

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    Thanks katy i will be doing some more searches. and paul. your info was real helpful. is there a certain feed i could feed them. like turkey grower or broiler feed? let me know. if you know the cheaper one...

7. Paul Ewing

Paul Ewing Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Boyd, TX
    I feed a 22% chick starter to all the chicks and 28% game bird starter to my Turkey poults. The 22% is $10.55/50lb bag and the game bird is $12.55 per bag. I think the game bird is too high in protein, but it might be interesting to mix them to get something like 24%.

Cheers, Paul

8. FREEZE's CHICKENS

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    sounds good. ill try it out. maybe my local feed mill will sell 25lb of broiler feed at goods. or the turkey poult

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    FREEZE's CHICKENS :

sounds good. ill try it out. maybe my local feed mill will sell 25lb of broiler feed at goods. or the turkey poult

No help for you on the red broilers , but wanted to say you misquoted the great boxer ; it was " Float like a butterfly , sting like a bee "​

10. FREEZE's CHICKENS

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    dang steve. sorry the quote i read was fly... idk all the same. ill be chaging it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by