Red bulb on back end

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmartin919, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jmartin919

jmartin919 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    Just noticed this on my bird this morning. She jumped into a nest and stayed awhile but then jumped off without laying an egg. Washed her up and took this picture.
    [​IMG]

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
  3. jmartin919

jmartin919 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    Thanks. I set her in a bucket of warm water for about 10 minutes, covered her head with a towel and laid her on her back/side and then smeared some olive oil on a latex glove and was able to slowly push it back in. When it popped back in it obviously caused a little discomfort. I only stayed in for about a minute and I had to do it again, and again. It's been about 30 minutes and seems to be staying in for now. I have her in a kennel on a towel in a semi-dark room with a water/calcium solution. I'm expecting an egg to pop out anytime and will probably have to push it back in again.

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Okay, if you can, go out and get some KY jelly and some vitamin E caps, 400iu. These worked the very best out of everything i tried. My goose healed in 3 days. You can try honey, but it will take longer for it to shrink the tissue. You don't want to use oil on her again. There's too much chance of rancidity by using that. Did you gently feel under her stomach to see if she is bound? The best time to do this is when she is in the bath and gently massage. Do not break the egg if one is in there! This will cause major problems if this happens. I also urge you to get the calcium tablets with vitamin D that is mention in the other thread. Within a half hour of giving it to my goose, I crushed the chewable tablet and put it into a small amount of water for her to drink, then the very warm bath she was able to lay the egg causing the binding and then 15 mins. later another 'rubber' egg was laid as well. If you follow this she will be good as new in no time at all as you caught it early. For any other birds, up their calcium as well with oyster shell or whatever.

5. jmartin919

jmartin919 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    I did not check for any eggs yet. Trying to picture the bath..You were working with a goose so I can see having it float in the bath but with a chicken? Am I just trying to get enough water to get the belly warm?

6. jmartin919

jmartin919 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    I just checked under her belly and can't feel anything that might be an egg. I had a look at her vent and she seems to be able to pucker it in and out with no trouble. Her poop looks normal. She seems to be alert and normal acting. I'll keep her in the house and in the kennel tomorrow and see if she passes an egg. In the mean time I'll get some KY and see if I can feel an egg inside her vent.

7. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    For a chicken I would have the water come up to her chest so that most of her back end is also in the warm water. When you have her in there just gently rub/pull with your finger tips towards the back. Gently is the key here. If you plan on going in you need to be extremely careful and make sure you are going into the right place. That was the scariest thing for me, trying to help my Lucy and not break the egg and cause her more problems in the end. Keep giving her the calcium. If you are using a human pill with vitamin D only give it once a day. Vitamin D is a fat soluable vitamin and can cause it's own issues if over used. If you get the KY and the E, what i did was put a bit of the KY on my gloved finger tips and then broke the capsule of the vitamin E onto that and then put it on her. This way the vitamin E was in direct contact with the protrusion and the KY kept everything moist. The vitamin E will also help keep her from getting any secondary infections topically. Good luck and give it a couple of days. As long as you keep everything moist there shouldnt be any problems with getting the swelling and everything to go back down where it belongs.

8. jmartin919

jmartin919 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    She was doing so well yesterday that I put her back in with the rest of the flock to see how she would do. She acted normal, taking on all comers and wining! Spent the night with the rest of the hens and was acting fine this morning. I just now found her on the nest in the process of laying and she seemed to be struggling a little to get it out but it eventually came out and she jumped off the nest, stepped out into the yard, took a poop and looked at me like "no big deal.." I didn't do anything more than give her some liquid calcium yesterday. I've started adding oyster shell to the feed. Kind of makes me think this kind of thing happens more than we realize and just resolves itself (not that I wouldn't help it along next time). Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if anything changes. (I sprayed some purple die on her legs to keep track).

9. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    WOO HOO!!!! Isn't the calcium amazing? If you get a chance and you see Casportpony in your travels on BYC, you give her a great big hug! She's the one that taught me that trick and help me with my Lucy. If this does happen again, it might not, but if it does go right for the calcium and the vitamin E again. Ya done good!!! Now do an over the shoulder reach and give yourself a big pat on the back. Pass it on when you get the chance.

10. jmartin919

jmartin919 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    I will...Makes me wonder what some calcium might do for me..Thanks again..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by