red bulbs-bad or good?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wings, Jan 11, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I live in Massachusetts, where it can get fairly cold during the night. I have a red bulb for heat when it gets chilly in the coop. Will a red bulb mess up the girls' internal clock to think it's daytime 24/7? We just had a prolapsed hen:(, so I'm trying to avoid premature laying for my 5-month-old hens.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We recently used a red heat lamp in the coop, which has a clear roof and can be seen from inside the house. We noticed that the girls were active - preening, moving around, etc. - at night, but we don't know if they were already doing that or not.

I do think that the red lamp is less obnoxious for them than is the white light, and less disruptive to their sleep patterns.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    When I had a red light in my coop, the chickens stayed up all night partying. I finally had to go out and turn the light off so they'd go to bed. Grrrr. I use a ceramic heat emitter (in the reptile section of your pet store) which puts out the same heat without the light. I live where it's pretty cold and found that the 100 watt isn't strong enough. However, I am very happy with the 250 watt. If you have the luxury of time, you can get them about 50% retail on Ebay.

ETA - Today it was -21F when I got up. And 0 in the coop. I freaked. Now I have both the ceramic bulb AND a red heat bulb going in there and it's around 20F. I'm sure the girls think they've been transported to the Bahamas and are currently working on their tans under that light. And I'm sure that the party will continue well into the night, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. We're really trying to avoid frostbite problems. It's 3 in the pm and still -7 outside right now with the sun starting to set.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    ive used a red heat lamp in the brooder and now I moved it into the coop to keep the water from freezing. Ive heard them moving around and stuff at night, I dont think it bothers them I just dont think they sleep from 4:30pm to 7am.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They are equivelant. The advantage of the red is that it casts fewer shadows, which alleges to reduce trampling in brooders due to startled birds. Also, I think it can deter vent pickers.

6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I just put a red lamp in my coop, since we are supposed to get in the negative temps this week.

But I noticed my girls where always wide awake when I when to the coop too. I'm al ittle worried it's going to mess with their little chicken heads. Should I take the light out>

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I leave my red light on 24-7 and have all winter long without any problems. They also have a chicken wire "window" which is now covered with plastic.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is a wonderful web site. I keep an 11 watt red sign light bulb on 24/7 in both of my coops. I have a 25 watt regular light that goes on around 5am in the big girls coop and off at about 9 am. I pretty much get an egg a day from all of them. When I do use a heat lamp I use a red 250 watt in a brooder lamp that is rated for 250 watts. I only use it when the forecast is for freezing weather.

9. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Our favorite RIR pullet, "Little Red" just died from prolapse and I was trying to see if maybe the fact that we had the red light on all the time was a reason, or just a fluke.

10. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by