Red bulbs or Clear ones?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rcentner, Oct 11, 2009.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I want heat for the coops in the winter, but I want to extend the daylight hours eventually as well. So do I buy red lamps..will that work for extra light or do they need more than that? Or do I have to buy one to have on at night and one for the day? I read that they don't sleep well with the regular light if it is on all night, true?

2. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    Last year we left a heat lamp on in the coop all winter. It was to keep the water thawed, it was red and our hens laid all year.

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I have used the red - just be sure they say they are Shatterproof!!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The red light heat lamps provide heat but not the type of light birds need for a daylight substitute. You will have to provide a white light if you want to extend their day.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yea what he said LOL. Red lights are mainly used to keep young chicks from picking at each other and still provide heat. but for laying you need a whiter light. Now if you extend laying through the winter they will become overly stressed and it could lead to a few problems come spring, as their imune system is low at this point.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by