1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red bull???

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by percyj, Jan 30, 2011.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I have an early morning competition where I will be playing my trombone. Does anybody know any good, workable energy drinks? I've heard so many bad things about some energy drinks, like alcohol, etc. I'm hoping our band will win, but we will have maybe 10-15 min for breakfast-in the car with a Great Dane. [​IMG] So I just wanted to see opinions.

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    Unless you have problems with your heart or blood pressure, you probably wont have any adverse reaction to any energy drink you can buy at the supermarket.
    If you're sensitive to caffeine you may want to avoid it altogether - it could make you shakey and/or nervous.
    If you are accustomed to caffeine intake such as in daily coffee or soda, you're probably ok. Personally, I prefer Monster - the flavor is way better than red bull.
    My suggestion is just to get adequate sleep, and if you're still groggy 30 minutes after waking up - only then- partake of some energy-enhancing substance.

Also, in case you're tempted, avoid 5-hour energy! It had no effect on me whatsoever and one of my friends said it made her feel MORE tired.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Thanks!!! I just read somewhere that caffiene can dry out your lungs before a performance-does anyone know how well tea would work?

4. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:Don't do it...You'll sound like you are playing a 45 on 78.[​IMG]

5. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Water... it is the best drink on the planet.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

3/4 of the forum isn't going to get that... *sigh*

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The taurine in energy drinks will dry your mouth out, get sleep, drink a lot of water, if nothing else having to pee will keep you awake to play!

8. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    If you've never drank one before, DON'T try it for the first time before a big event. They can make your mind race, your hands shake, your mouth dry etc. Not to mention that Red Bull has a tendency to make people puke- No one wants to see you puke through your trombone!

Drink water, take deep breaths, find a flight of stairs to walk a few times to get your blood moving when you get there.

Good luck!

9. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.

Yeah, but it got a laugh out of those of us, who have done it.[​IMG]

10. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I am in that 3/4. [​IMG]

Water. Plenty of water, plenty of sleep, a good breakfast with plenty of protien, and moral support from friends and family is all you need.
    Break a leg! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by