Red Butt - Mystery Ailment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hencam, Aug 24, 2008.

1. hencam

hencam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My barred rock, 4 year old hen, Eleanor, has a mystery ailment and I'm hoping someone out there can help. A few days ago I noticed her limping and thought she'd pulled a muscle. I checked her legs. Fine. Then I noticed that the skin below her vent was bright red, hot and swollen. I did an internal check (vaseline on a finger and wiggled it around in there.) Didn't detect any internal injury, nor a stuck egg. She doesn't have lice or mites. Her diet is the same as all the other hens who are fine. She's eating. Some poops, but not big healthy ones.

I gave her a good warm soak in an epsom salt bath. Poured some olive oil down her throat. Am giving her baytril (a powerful antibiotic.) Have her isolated.

Two days later, no change in her behavior (she's bright-eyed, but moving with discomfort) or symptoms.

(I've got photos, would someone clue me in on how to post jpgs here?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Can't help you much with the symptoms of your hen, but the upload tab for photos is at the top of the page when you start a new post. Just click it and find the photo on your computer and it will upload it for you.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Are you sure one of the other birds was not vent picking?

4. hencam

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've had vent pecking problems before - so that was a good suggestion. But, that's not the cause this time.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Your link didn't work...I am anxious to see your pics because mine have the same problem. I use Photobucket to upload my pics here and it is very easy.

6. hencam

Jun 5, 2007
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top photo is a healthy barred rock. Below is poor Eleanor's bottom. What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks like some sort of skin problem to me. She's even missing some feathers down there. Hmmm....

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I think she looks just like all of ours! We have no idea what's causing it. We have 3 hens who live outside the coop now. We bought some DE and have been mixing it in with their dust bath and our RIR is now growing her feathers back. The ones inside the coop, even though we put DE in there - it isn't helping. We call it "baboon butt" and same as yours, they are red and featherless. I hope someone else can provide an answer to what is causing it.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Without feathers, skin turns red on chickens. So we might have to seek out a reason feathers are being lost. Mites, picking, half moulting but having pin feathers pulled, and so on. Really I don't have an answer though. I have a bald bottom hen, but her problem is that she is an internal layer and is swollen to where her bum feathers fall out. She's an untouchable so till I see her lose appetite and desire to run around, she'll be fed with the rest.

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Hmmm...didn't know that! Maybe it's just a very happy rooster? That would explain why the ones living outside the coop are growing feathers back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by