Red Butt on 3 week old Chicks

malig

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
I have a brooder with 50 three week old chicks, various breeds. Three of them (2 Columbian Wyandottes and one barred rock) are showing symptoms of an inflamed rear end. The feathers have been picked away, the area seems swollen and hot. The chicks also cheep loudly when they defecate. The affected chicks do not seem to be getting more attention from the other birds. Most, if not all of the feather loss is self inflicted. Finally, these three birds seem to be smaller and have not begun to feather out like the others. Any ideas on what this is and how to treat? I will try to post a pic to my profile.
50297_dsc02663.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I can't really tell anything from your picture-sorry it is pretty blurry.
I would absolutely separate the ones with the red butts from the others because even if you don't think the others are picking on them, I bet they are. Do you have plenty of space in your brooder for that many chicks? Sometimes if they are a bit crowded, they will peck each other.
I would also try to put some antibiotic cream without pain reliever on their little bare spots to keep them from getting infections.
Good luck to you.

I had this issue with a 4 day old CornishX. They are impacted and have excess poo inside. (I took my chick to the vet because I didn't know what it was at the time.)

The vet used Q-tips and cleaned some of the poo out and then said to use a warm compress of a wet gauze pad or soft cloth. If you try to clean some of the excess poo out, be sure to use some lubricant and don't over do it.

If possible, seperate the 3 too so you can monitor to make sure they are eating and pooing.

Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you have any other questions.

Best wishes,
Keri

Back
Top Bottom