1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Butt on Laying Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sojourner2, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Sojourner2

Sojourner2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I have a very fat White Rock who is laying great double yolk eggs. She has developed a raw red butt which doesn't seem to bother her but looks nasty. She is one of 18 mixed chickens in my backyard flock ( Ok, I WAS raising her for dinner but...). None of the other birds have this problem.[​IMG] Yes, I am a NEWBIE!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

When you say "butt" what do you mean exactly? Is it her vent that is red and raw? Could she be prolapsed?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like we might need a picture

4. Sojourner2

Sep 8, 2010
    It's the whole area of her bottom red and sans feathers and I will try and post a pic asap.

5. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Sounds like she's getting pecked. I've had the same problem before. All my birds look great now after the molt. Watch for pecking is my advice, that's a common cause of bare bottoms.

6. Sojourner2

Sep 8, 2010
    Haven't been able to post pic but will tonight! Yea! Camera fixed! Anyway, her butt is getting better (nothing like the prolapses I've viewed on this forum thank God!) but she is not laying right now. Do meat bird not lay as regularly as other varieties?

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Which meatie are you talking about? Some lay like troopers, others not so much.

ETA- sorry, just read the original post again. White rocks generally lay well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    don't know about the laying part of your post but glad to hear shes better.

9. Sojourner2

Sep 8, 2010
    White Rock Cornish. Two of them didn't make it into the stew pot! They are heavy birds - can't fly or get to the perches so I have a box on the floor of the coop for their bed!

10. Sojourner2

Sep 8, 2010
    Heres the pictures, It was a wet day so you can acually see it a bit better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by