Red Cabbage = florescent green poop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Frannabelle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My flock finally decided that a cabbage head is not going to murder them, so I've been giving them a head of green cabbage about once a week. Well, the grocery store had red cabbage on sale. They weren't afraid of the red head (surprise!), but I was sure afraid of the shocking neon green poop!

It took me a minute to realize that's what caused it. For a second there, all I could think was "what now???"

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    the neon green poop is not from the cabbage really. It is that whomever laid the poop has a problem and is not digesting properly or is not eating, possibly sick. Did you make sure to have plenty of grit available to the birds while feeding the cabbage? Any fiberous material must have grit given along with it or could cause digestion problems, such as impacted crop or such. Neon green poop is usally a sign of a problem in one of the birds.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    c

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  5. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    sounds like others have experienced weird poop with cabbage too, I'm glad I'm not alone

6. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I thank you, but it's the cabbage. Grit all over the place, etc. From what I've read since I posted, the red cabbage can do it. Heck, cabbage makes my own weird! Also , no one in the flock is sick, just the alarming poop color.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    You need to beets and there greens some time if you want to make your heart sink!!!

8. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Quote:My older bro showed me, when we were kids, how delicious raw cabbage with a bit of salt sprinkled on can be. He didn't tell me how raw cabbage, esp. with salt added on, should be taken in moderation. If by "weird" you mean "a lot of...."

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Its the red cabbage. Mine do it too.

10. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    This makes me want to grow some red cabbage this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by