Red Caps or Gold Laced Wyandottes??

zookyla

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Santa Fe, TX
I work at a zoo and we bought a mixed batch of standard size chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery for our farm yard. I first posted a little over a month ago. We have been able to identify all of the chickens except for these hens pictured below. They are black with brown and appear to be developing a rose comb. After some research I have narrowed the breeds to either Red Caps or Gold Laced Wyandottes, of course I could be way off base. I know they are still young and these pictures aren't the best. How do you get chickens to stand still and pose? Since we ended up with so many, I'm hoping to be able to take some of them home and start my own home flock.
big_smile.png

Thanks for your help!
Carolyn

58159_21563513871_orig.jpeg

58159_21563513876_orig.jpeg

58159_21563513883_orig.jpeg

Well, GLW don't have those dark legs, they have yellow legs. I am not sure what a red cap is.....but they are probably not GLW. They could be a mixture though.

They look like Murray McMurray's "Golden Sebrights".
McMurrary doesn't have chicks that are very good examples of what the breed should look like.

Your birds should look something like this. Golden Sebrights.

Or your birds could be a cross sometimes hatcheries call them Easter Eggers (EE's)
But I am thinking Golden Sebrights...

Chris

Last edited:
I have to agree with chickmom, they don't look like my GLW's. I wish I could tell you what they are.

It's very unlikely they are redcaps either. Redcaps are very rare and I seriously doubt McMurray even sells any. Golden sebright would be a better guess.

Note that the OP said s/he bought a mixed group of Standard Sized Chicks-therefore they aren't Sebrights. Sebrights exist only in bantam form.
The leg colour is right for Redcaps but it's hard to see the feathering in those pictures.
For the record McMurray does sell Redcaps.

I think they are redcaps.Reasoning is blue gray legs and red eyes and earlobes.Not to mention GLWS are more brightly laced than that.Cool breed those Derbyshire redcaps.

the heads look kinda wide and it looks like the feathers are laced not tipped in black and the tails look to go straight back im thinkin dark cornish which mcmurray also carries its just the dark legs but we all know how hatchery birds are

Back
Top Bottom