Red Chapped Vents-HELP!!(1 more?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchix, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens have been pecking at eachother very badly lately. I've started them in Avia Charge, and it seems to be getting better. I've noticed a few of the hens have red chapped vents now. They're also missing tail feathers and feathers uner their tails. I'm wondering if they have mites, but I've checked and checked and haven't found any! Some of the hens appear fine and a few that have been pecked have the red vents, and scabby behinds. What could be causing the red, chapped appearance of their vents?

Thanks,
    Sonja

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I just had a case of mites in my flock and their vents were red and chapped too, i could only see the mites on a few chickens and they are easier to see at night, i think thats when the little blood suckers come out in drones to eat. They also picked each others feathers out. It won't hurt to treat them for mites just to be sure. You have to clean out the coop and get the mite powder in every nook and cranny, i add DE to the pine shavings as well. When you dust them make sure you get the powder really good under their wings and vent area. Hope things get better for you soon [​IMG]

ETA even tho i didnt see mites on every chicken i treated all of them

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Ouch! That sounds painful! [​IMG]

I would also recommend treating them for mites. Or maybe check up on their diet. Make sure they are getting enough nutrient from their food. [​IMG]

Keep us posted. [​IMG]

4. mylilchix

Thanks for your advice. I'll treat for mites. They eat Layena crumbles, BOS, veggie treats, and I just started putting Avia Charge in the water. What should I use for mites?

Sonja

5. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    That sounds like a well balanced diet. [​IMG]

I'm not very sure of what to use for mights, as I have not had a case of mites yet.

Ask at the vet if he could prescribe something to you, it shouldn't be very costly. Or he might give you some home remedies, but I doubt that. [​IMG]

Hope that helps.

Good luck. [​IMG]

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to the feed store or the garden shop and get some Sevin Dust. Hold`m upside down by their legs and dust everywhere. Try not to get it in their eyes and face. A little won`t hurt. Rub their vents with Vasoline.

7. mylilchix

Can we still eat their eggs after being dusted?

Sonja

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    you are not suppose to eat the eggs if there is dust on them, i usually wait a few days til they shake it off then eat the eggs [​IMG]
    TSC and fleet farm usually carries this stuff called prozap garden and poultry dust, this works well for me, it has permethrin in it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. mylilchix

I am going to treat for mites just to be on the safe side. The feed store was closed yesterday, but I was able to pick up some petroleum jelly for the girls. I do have one more question though. I had put Rooster Booster anti-pick lotion on the behinds of the infected hens could they be having a reaction to that or could it have dyed their behinds? I thought of that when I noticed that all of the untreated hens' vents looked fine.

Thanks, Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by