1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rooney85, Mar 31, 2016.

1. rooney85

rooney85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Washington County MD
    My TSC chicks are about 5 weeks old and everyone is saying they aren't Rhode Island Reds (as I was told). Soooo... What are they? (Besides awkward looking, everyone is molting their orange red feathers and getting in dark red.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. rooney85

Mar 10, 2015
    Washington County MD
    Whoops [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ladyj02

ladyj02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas
    Feed stores sell them as RIR but they're really called Production Reds. At least this is what I have found out since I got "RIR's" from TSC this year, and came on here and found out the truth. Pure RIR's will be a deep dark red when fully grown. Either way, production reds are still great layers and will provide lots of brown eggs, so it's still a win in my book!

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

5. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Rhode Island reds for sure. I also picked up a few from TSC.

6. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Also don't worry about production vs pure unless you are showing them. They still lay eggs and taste good lol.

7. rooney85

Mar 10, 2015
    Washington County MD
    Okay awesome! its not a big deal to me but it made me super curious when everyone started telling me they weren't RIRs!

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by