red cochin bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pamjay, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Pamjay

Pamjay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    I bought two red cochin bantam chicks in hopes one of them will be a hen. So far their markings are coming up the same but they are only a bit over a week old. Do hens and roosters display very different markings early on? Or will I only know when I hear a cock-a-doodle-doo?

2. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    The cochins are so pretty. I haven't seen reds yet. I am no expert but...I have noticed that when I have 2 or more I'll sometimes see ones tail sprout before the other ones does. I planned to start out with 15 chicks max ,but the first couple batches seemed potentially like a number of them were going to be roosters by my observations. So then what do you do if they both get tail feathers at the same time? I'm still in the waiting game. My banty red pyles are about 6 weeks and one is definitely a roo he got his comb red quite quickly and has been practicing his vocal cords this week. Some have bigger tails and combs but all breeds are a bit different. This probably does not help one bit.. but for what it;s worth..
    Rachael C - mother of all

3. Pamjay

Pamjay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Okay, one of the chicks is pretty rambunctious and even aggressive towards all of the other chicks (even the one that is 3 time it's size). I've been told by one individual that future roosters may exhibit these traits. My other one is so sweet and docile. I will keep you posted.

4. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Thats not totally true, even hens, at that age can act the exact same as a rooster, youll just have to wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by