Red color under the black feathers? (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bama1, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Bama1

Bama1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    This morning I go out to check on my chickens. I have two little guys that I have figured out are boys because they were so BAD! Mean to everyone else, so they are in a pen by themselves. They were solid black when I got them, then they started getting the white around the neck. This morning I look and immediately think, oh no, they have hurt each other because there is reddish spots on their backs that were not there yesterday. After closer observation, LOL, I think it is red feathers? I have no idea what breed these are either. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Their color is birchen, that's where they start black and get the grey on the neck, they'll probably have grey saddle feathers when they get older. The red on the wings in called leakage, it's a red color leaking through the black. There's a lot more genetic-wise to it, but that's the basic. The red color will spread as they age, they'll have handsome red wings later on.

3. Bama1

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    Thank you! I looked at pics of the Birchen Roosters, and they are very lovely.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they could be birchen in color with leakage or just a mix breed. my 2nd gen silkie/d'uccle mix looked like that at first as well

5. Bama1

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    I bet that is an awesome looking cross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by