Red Comb, No Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peeps7, Sep 6, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    :barnieMy hens, especially one of them, have red combs but no eggs. Bisquick, my red combed hen, layed one egg and then stopped laying. Her comb is even starting to lay over. I think she was the one who layed an egg but I'm not sure. I think my one of my barred rocks, Maggy, is going to start laying soon. I don't know how to tell when my easter eggers are going to start laying. Most of my hens are between 20 and 25 weeks old. Why aren't my hens doing their job and laying eggs. [​IMG]

P.S I don't think my roo is doing his job either.[​IMG]

2. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    im in the same boat albeit that my girls are younger...i have one hen with a red comb who is laying every day...( she just started about 10 days ago i guess), but all the other girls with the red combs are doing nuttin, despite the interest they are attracting from the roosters...i dunno what the lag between red comb and eggs usually is??!??!

3. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Yeah, well my rooster want do anything. If he is then he is very sneaky but they aren't laying so I don't thiun k he is.

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    jeez our two roosters are all over the red comb girls like a bad suit! I have barred rocks that have red combs now and are about 18 weeks, and have red sex links ( one of which is laying) who i think are about the same age...none of the others ( RIR, RIW, SF, SSH, cochins, americaunas) have done anything as far as comb or laying is concerned. Boy i hope they hurry up, because a 1 egg omelet is not a very filling meal [​IMG]

5. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    LOL!!! Well should I get another rooster? I won't get rid of my EE roo cause he's beautiful and he's old. Maybe that is why he's not interested in them, maybe he likes old women, LOL.[​IMG]
    So should I get a new roo when I go and get my RIR and my Golden Comets.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Peeps, buddy... PLEASE STOP POSTING NEW THREADS IN THE "BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements" section!!!!!!

We are very tired of moving them... ( I think this is the 15th one we've moved).

7. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    A roo does not equal eggs. You only need a roo if you want fertilized eggs. I had 3 roos, but got rid of them. My girls seem much happier now. It used to be, every morning the roos would be outside first, just hanging around the coop door waiting for the girls to come out. The girls, on the other hand, would all bunch up inside the coop, no one wanting to be the first one out. Eventually, someone would get shoved out, the rooseters would pounce, and all the other hens would run like crazy to get past the roos while they were occupied![​IMG] Now the girls just stroll out leisurely, not a care in the world. Yup, they seem much happier!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet your roo is doing his job and just not letting you see. As lizardz said, you don't need a roo for eggs. The girls will spend a month or so gearing up for eggs and it will be a few months before you get consistent larger eggs.

9. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    What do you mean by you've moved em. I don't mean to do that on purpose but what exactly am I doing?

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

It seems that you are coming to the forum and going right into the "BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements" section and posting a new thread. Make sure you are in the appropriate forum / section / category before you start a new thread.

Hopefully that makes sense. For some odd reason we've seen a huge influx of people posting in the wrong forums... unfortunately it is sometimes human nature to just post in the very first section / forum on the screen.

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by