1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Comb, Pale Comb And Back Again.....???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Aug 19, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am new to chickens this year. I have 4 Australorp girls that are approaching 6 months old and all have large red combs and wattles. (Faces not so much yet). I expect eggs soon. But I have one girl that has a large comb that changes from fairly red to quite pale during the day. When she is up and active, the comb and wattles are quite red, however when she is at rest, they are a very pale pink. None of the other girls combs change color, but stay a constant bright red.

Is this normal comb color behavior, or could it mean something else..worms?, ect? Am I just being worried for nothing?

Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:As long as she's eating and drinking normally, I wouldnt worry about it.

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    She eats, drinks and poops normal. I watch all of them all the time and actually she eats like a horse. Poops like one too. [​IMG] I always do a poop inspection first thing in the morning in the coop before they get off the roost so I can see who's poo is who's and I am not seeing anything strange going on there.

Thanks Dawg. :)

4. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    This sounds fairly normal. Some chickens seem to 'flush' more when active or excited and then have a paler face/comb/wattles when relaxed. My Beltsville white turkey hens get quite red in the face when excited and then pale when at rest; some of my Brahmas have done the same.....

Part of the enjoyment of keeping chickens is how much you can learn simply through good observation.

1 person likes this.
  5. Young Heritage

Young Heritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Monterey TN
    Not sure if this is what is causing yours but chickens will also regulate their heat by pumping more or less blood to the combs and wattles. Thus making them brighter at times. My Main roo has some frost bite" was that way when I got him" on his comb. It is part black when it is cool outside but as soon as it gets hot his comb and wattles will be as bright red as can be. If it acts healthy/normal otherwise, I would not worry.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I think both of these last 2 posts is what is going on with my girl. She seems to "flush" when it is warmer out, when she gets excited or just when the blood is pumping. She acts completely normal in all ways. Runs around screaming for treats, chases bugs and eats with gusto.

So I do thank you all for your replies. I am just a new mommy to my babies. I watch them so closely that I see all these things that might alert me to issues. I want to catch anything early enough and not ignore any troubles.

Thanks again and I do appreciate all the info! I am learning so much about chickens from all you folks. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. troyerchar

troyerchar New Egg

Jun 13, 2013
    We are new to raising chickens too. 6 month old RIR's. I wondered about this as well because my healthy chicks' combs/wattles vary daily in their red pigment. Last night was quite cold and this morning they all came out a bit pale.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A long time has passed since I posted this question. LOL And you know, this particular bird still has her pale moments. One moment she looks pale and the next her comb is very bright red. She is healthy as an ox and is now 2 1/2 years old. Still lays an egg on a daily basis. So I would have to say that a bird that goes pale occasionally, but acts completely normal in all other ways, is not anything to worry about. :)

9. troyerchar

troyerchar New Egg

Jun 13, 2013
    Thank you very much!! I was curious more than worried because our entire flock are happy and healthy ( and rather spoiled! Hee hee )
    Thanks again,
    Char [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by