1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red combs, when do eggs come?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5acresandadream, Nov 3, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    My girls are a buff Orpington mix, and almost 7 months old. I have noticed their faces and combs starting to darken from pink to red. They don't squat, but none of my other older ones do either. My question is, from anyone with experience, how long after their combs darken does it usually take for eggs to come around?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Soon, but nobody can say for sure how soon. Could be days, could be a few weeks.

3. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I hope it's days haha waiting for that first egg is starting to drive me crazy!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ticktickticktick...so hard to wait.
    Those pullets can drive you nuts, the redness can come and go with exertion and relaxation.

Can check pelvic points and vents.
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Do you free range?
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

1 person likes this.
  5. myssey

myssey New Egg

Nov 4, 2016
    Hi,

I just wanted to comment on your post since I was, until yesterday, still waiting on my first egg. My Buff is 29 weeks and I was convinced that she'd NEVER lay. Here is the sequence of behaviors that I noticed in the few weeks leading up to her first egg. Her comb and waddle turned really red several weeks ago, so I started watching her closely. Two weeks ago, she began to be more open to me touching her and she seemed to be more curious about what I was doing when I'd enter the coop. Then last week, I noticed that she was moving hay around and making random nests all over the coop. She was doing this in the nesting boxes and also in the hay on the floor...as if she was looking for her favorite spot. She also started getting a little more vocal. I could hear her in the mornings singing a little. This past Sunday, I walked into the coop and she began squatting. You will know when they squat because it is such an obvious pose. She will puff her wings out, flatten her back, and move her tail over and just sit there and let you pet her as long as you want to. There's no mistaking it. So, for me, it was four days after she began squatting. Waiting is TERRIBLE but when that first egg arrives, it is like Christmas morning! Hope this helps!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]

7. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    Today I checked pelvic bones and to my surprise I found that many of my girls pelvic bones have widened a lot since last week! I can now fit two fingers snuggly. So hopefully that means eggs soon?!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or they are already laying out in range area?
    See my post above.

9. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I do let them out for a few hours each day, I'll keep them in for the next few and see if maybe they lay, I hope they aren't laying somewhere in the yard D:

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Seen any activity in the coop nests....messed up bedding?
    If they don't free range full time, they probably aren't laying out there.
    Maybe just restrict it a bit more...let them roam for a couple hours just before roost time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by