1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Cornish Cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Since we are so far from everyone, Pacific Northwest (VERY northwest), I am trying to find the closest reputable hatchery. I'm also looking for the Ranger broiler.
    I found Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho and they had Red Cornish broilers. Is this the same as the Ranger? The description sounds the same.
    Anyone know? Has anyone used Dunlap Hatchery? Has anyone raised the Red Cornish Cross? How was the experience?

I am full of questions so please be patient with me. I wat to make sure I get everything down before I make the jump![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Spotted Owl

Spotted Owl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    NW Oregon
    We do and have used Dunlap in Idaho. Right now we have layers about 2wks and meats abt 1 wk. Don't know about Reds though. Never have had any problems in the past. All show up with now problems and the regular cornishX have done very well. This batch of 75 total we have lost only 1 when it got stuck and couldn't get back to the heat lamp over night. I forget the name of the other that was in Walla Walla I think, but since they are now out of business I suppose we will use Dunlap for everything.

We are close to Lincoln City in Oregon. So it's nice to be able to use a hatchery that is semi close. We have also used I think Lazy 54 in Hubbard Or. They are a bit smaller and avalibility can be a problem if your in a hurry but they also have good birds. Either of them would in our opinion would be a good choice for the NorthWest.

Also if your in good graces or at least not on the outs with your mail delivery folks and PO giving them a bit of notice about the package you are expecting seems to be appreciated. They also seem to give you a call as soon as they arrive instead of when they have time. My Mrs. always shows up with something for them as a thankyou for calling asoon as possible. That way the aren't sitting on a counter or in a stack anylonger than absolute neccessary.

Hope this will help some how

Owl

3. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Thank you, glad to hear about the hatchery. Its nice to hear from someone who has used them.

4. towtruckman

towtruckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    I heard there was a big hatchery in lebanon Or but have never used them. I do my best to pick up chicks in person from hatchery if possible less stress for them.

5. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    I checked out the website for Lebanon All Breed Hatchery. It looks like they specialize in exotic but also have chickens. Good looking birds, but maaaaaaan do they charge a lot!! They want $5 per chick! With a 20 chick min. They don't seem to have a lower rate for larger quantitys order either.
    I will have to keep looking.[​IMG]

6. towtruckman

towtruckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    There is also one in Hubbard oregon named the Lazy 54 Farms. Not real easy to get through to them probably real busy right now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by