Red Domineckers,

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Black Copper King, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Black Copper King

Black Copper King In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Franklin Ga
    RED Domineckers, I have aquired a few of this breed. Does anyone out there have this breed of chicken?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. farmerChef

farmerChef Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    do you have pictures? never heard of them

3. draye

draye Crowing

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Songster

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    x3! I would love to see them...

5. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Songster

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Never heard of them.

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Yes, please post pics! I'd love to see them. I've not heard of red domineckers, only dominiques (although I have heard of dominiques being called "domineckers" it's usually by people who don't actually know much about the breed itself or a tongue-in-cheek nickname from breeders). Feathersite has a few photos of white dominiques, which I'm assuming are sports, or started as sports, from normal barred parents. I'm picturing a red barred bird, which I personally think would be really pretty.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They could be a Crele Color.

Depends on where you are and if you call them "Dominique" or "Dominikaner", they both translate to the same thing.

http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Dominikaner

Chris

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    There's no recognized breed called a RED Dominique. It would have to be a cross of some kind. Let's see pictures! A red/brown bird with white barring would be quite interesting.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Depends,
    The term Dominique/Dominikaner [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]refers to a pattern more so than a breed. Even the APA refers to the breed as a American Dominique when describing the Barred Plymouth Rock. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris[/FONT]

10. MrDominique

MrDominique Hatching

Aug 20, 2012
    There is a lot of inaccuracies in the above posts. Can't go into all of them now but will cover the major points.

I am Mark Fields, I wrote the book on the Dominiques. There are or more accurately "were" no red Dominiques. If someone created them recently this is the first I've heard of them. It wouldn't be hard to do as the silver/gold genetics has been understood for a long time.

The Whites are a direct result of inbreeding and go back to when Robert Henderson crossed on a white game hen to reinvigorate his Dominique flock back in the 70s.

Dominique isn't used to describe the pattern. It's known as a "cuckoo" pattern. However, that being said a lot of lay peope call anything with barring as "dominickers" or "domineckers".

Back to the reds. The quickest way to get a red Dominique would be to start with a Buff bird. Starting with a Rhode Island Red will give you some interesting results because of the underlying Columbian pattern. I suspect a Buckeye will do the same. I'm not interested in creating new varieties so haven't given it much thought.

Mark

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: