1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Domineckers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Black Copper King, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Black Copper King

Black Copper King Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Franklin Ga
    I heard there were birds of this catagory. Does anyone know of this breed?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

There is only one type of Dominique, and that is the barred look.

The white is the only other colour that ever popped up. You can read about it here.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
  4. aoxa

They are not showable, so therefore are not considered actual dominiques.

You can claim an EE is an Ameraucana, but if it does not meet the standards and breed true 50% of the time, it is not an Ameraucana.

Colours have to be listed. You can not get a red Dominique by crossing two regular dominiques. Something else had to be mixed in. The white was a mutation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I understand what you are saying, but I do not understand how it applies to the quest for information concerning the Red Dominique. It isn't recognized, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Maybe, the Red Dominique is a mix? Maybe, it goes back to the days of the original Dominique, but only exists in a certain area (Georgia to be exact). Maybe, it is a color pop up, that someone did not record. (Whites where the only color recorded to pop up, not necessary the only color that has.)

The Red Dominique is similar in type to the Dominique, and looks very muck like the Dominique Game (the original Dominique). Check this out http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Dominique_Games.html

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. aoxa

The thread you linked does not work.

It could be a project colour, but again - they would be outcrossed so not 100% dominique. The dominique is EXTREMELY rare. Only two bloodlines are pure according to the breeders site.

7. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
  8. aoxa

Now it works, even though the links look identical.

Again, I just don't see how a red bird that looks similar to a Dominique would be considered pure. Those game dominiques look crele coloured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by