Red Eared Sliders - Anyone else with this problem?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicks Galore3, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have a male red eared slider, around 12 years old. Sometimes, not all the times, he'll pull the filter cartridge out of the filter and EAT it. ??? Why would he be doing this? I feed him reptomin turtle food 2 times a day as directed. The filter cartridges are BioBag.

2. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Filters absolutely cannot be accessible to the turtle because he will eat it. If he eats it, there is a chance that he will get clogged up, and trying to feed castor oil to a turtle is a disgusting, tedious process. I would recommend you invest in an external canister filter. They are a bit on the expensive side, but given the fact that your RES is having a bit of a problem with binging on the filters, it will be worth it in the long run.

The food you are giving him has nothing to do with why he is eating them. Unlike their tortoise cousins, turtles are not very picky and will eat just about anything they find. Sliders are by far the worst offenders. Not only are they the messiest eaters, they are also the living equivalent to a garbage can. That is why many people who keep them give them such a bare tank. They'll eat rocks, sand, tank decorations, and sometimes even chunks of their floating islands.

Turtles also get bored very easily, which may be why he feels the need to explore his filter. Try offering him a variety of food to stimulate him. They love tasting new things, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Most pet stores sell zoo med gourmet turtle food, which has cranberries, pellets, dried fish, shrimp, and mealworms in it. You can even offer him (very occasionally) a sliver of lean beef liver.

[​IMG]

Also offer him some cuttlebone to keep that beak from becoming too sharp and uncomfortable. This will also help to entertain his little turtle brain.

[​IMG]

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    THANK YOU! I tried to put aquatic plants in his tank...he ate them within five minutes. I'll try giving him more fresh fruit and veggies and look into external canister filters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by