Red egg white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnthRandell, Mar 19, 2013.

1. AnthRandell

AnthRandell New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello everyone, I've just registered so I hope I'm on the correct page.
    My sablepoot bantam (named lickin by my children)is a regular egg layer but 1 of her eggs was red, just the white was a blood colour with a normal yolk. Her eggs since are ok but I'm hoping she's ok? Does anyone know what causes it? Thank you

2. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

i do not know anything that caused it and you r in the right thread and ps

[​IMG]

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Did it have red spots in the white or was the entire egg white red, like it was blood?

4. AnthRandell

AnthRandell New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Thank you :) the entire white was stained not just spots as I've seen those in supermarket eggs. I've since read that it could be torn capillaries during digestion? Lickin does jump the coop & eat everything in site!!

5. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't worry about that too much. You must be eating the eggs pretty fast. The small amounts of blood after a couple of days gets absorbed by the egg white. When an egg is in the process of being made there are tiny blood vessels along the egg tract(uterine wall) and on occasion these blood vessels rupture a bit, harmless to the bird. When the egg and membrane form in the shell little evidence of blood can sometimes be trapped within the egg, thus showing a little blood. It may not look so appetising but harmless. This is common among the chicken world... Hope this helps Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by