red eyed Coturnix chick

Monkau

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Some of you may have seen my post on a Facebook quail group about this little surprise, but for those who haven't seen or may have some ideas, any input is greatly appreciated.

I hatched my first lot of eggs from my quails on a bit of a whim.
I really like the form and temperament of my birds and I have had trouble finding other birds I liked. I was also considering selling fertile eggs and figured this way I'd get more birds and see what my fertility rates were before I gave them to anyone.

Turned out the fertility is excellent - only 3 of 25 were infertile.

In the hatch was one little bub who really stood out from the crowd.
At first I thought i was seeing things, but when I moved the chicks from the incubator to the brooder, sure enough there was a little red eyed bub peeping away.

Once fully dry and fluffy this little one showed its true colours and it became clear I'm not dealing with straight up albinism.

We had a little bumpy patch at 2 days and nearly lost it. I was determined to keep this bird alive so I had to take it to work with me and make sure it ate and drank and stayed warm.

A week on and we have feathers coming in. Its living in a brooder with 2 other slow growers because the others are all much larger and are literally walking all over them.

I'm still not sure what exactly to call this colour but my daughter named the bird Albie.

I have had all kinds of colours listed off for what it could be but I'm still leaning to incomplete albino. I just cant find any pictures of birds similar.

Here is Albie today.

I hope very much we can get Albie to adulthood.

If anyone has had or knows of any incomplete albinos, please let me know.

Its very cute!

Lots of animals have red eyes that aren't albinos. I think its due to a dilute gene. Hamsters (argente), cockatieils (lutino), reptiles (red albino), and many others. It causes red eyes, but some coloration in the feathers/fur/scales.
Birds that have albinism or similar genetics, unfortunately, tend to be weak and have poor immune systems. Albinism can also lead to them more easily getting skin cancer, eye problems and trouble seeing, and is often associated with inbreeding. Because of these reasons, it is best not to select for albinism. However, it is still a very unique, awesome looking chick!

Best of luck!
smile.png

Yes, I am familiar with the pink eye dilution in other animals, namely mice. I used to breed mice based on their genetic lineup, personally did not like the pink eyed dilutions and they did not sell well so I used my knowledge of their lineage and makeup to avoid pink eyed babies in my litters

Its sad that birds are weaker for this mutation. But I have been determined to keep this guy alive.
I put in another lot of eggs lastight which nearly all belong to a hen i suspect may have been the mother of Albie, will be interesting to see what comes out.

The other babies are a funny colour too, actually looking very similar to the red eyed baby.
Can't get my head around it! I can't wait for full feathering so I can really see their colours!

Albie has grown a lot the last 2 days, catching up to its hatchmates!
I dont know what I'm dealing with, perhaps a pink eyed dilution because the feathers are too dark to be even incomplete albino.

You know, I was thinking last night while looking at my cat (shes a blue cream dilute tabby) that Albies hatchmates are a very similar colour to her, just a little warmer, then I started thinking perhaps they have got a kind of blue and brown dilution then for Albie, a pink eyed dilution like a mouse i bred once with a/a b/b d/d p/p. By mouse fancier terms that makes it a "lavender" (eg: http://www.thefunmouse.com/varieties/images/varieties/LavenderLG.jpg)

This theory would mean though that if line breeding were done that more pink eyed offspring would result.

Albie has grown a lot the last 2 days, catching up to its hatchmates!
I dont know what I'm dealing with, perhaps a pink eyed dilution because the feathers are too dark to be even incomplete albino.

That's an albino, how rare and new! Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom