Red Eyed New Baby Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fernylees12, Jan 7, 2017.

1. fernylees12

fernylees12 New Egg

Jan 7, 2017
    Yeppoon QLD Australia
    [​IMG]
    I Know It's not a great pic, will try again tommorrow.
    But the baby has the raw red patchs on both sides of her face. Eyes not open. Born this morning (8 hours ago), second baby to a new mum. Doesn't appear to have been pecked. ?????

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here but I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances. Are the eyes bleeding or weeping? They do look extremely sore and this could possibly be a defect with the chick I'm afraid. I would try to clean the eyes up by bathing them and getting closer look at what is going in them. You can also post in our emergency section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    I'm sure members there will be able to help further.

Good luck with your chick :fl

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I share Y/Coop's sentiments. Hopefully someone on the ER forum will be able to advise.

Good luck
    CT

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Hope your chick is going to be okay! :)

5. fernylees12

fernylees12 New Egg

Jan 7, 2017
    Yeppoon QLD Australia
    [​IMG]
    It appears ok this morning. Same dried areas on both sides of its head. Doesn't appear to be suffering in any way. So will wait and see ?

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy neighbour [​IMG] Welcome!

In the first picture, because it is weeping into the feathers, it looks like blood to me [​IMG]

She does look much better in the second picture and I agree that if she does not appear to be suffering, a wait and see plan sounds like a good one.

If you are at all concerned, I also agree with posting on the Emergencies & Diseases Forum.

Congratulations on the hatch!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! I agree with the others, she looks much better in the second picture, so just wait and see. :) Best of luck!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Looks to me like the blood may have come from higher up on the head, and seems to have spread sideways to the eyes. I could be wrong. Are they are bite marks on the chick? Maybe she forced her way out of a bloody situation in her egg.

Does the coloring change at all if you try to gently wash it off? Would definitely post on the E/R threads just to get more minds thinking about her. Blood or the color red will draw attacks from grown as well as baby chicks. They seem programed to do so. Please do keep an eye on how mama acts around her.

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How's your chick looking today? Did you get any feedback from the emergencies forum?

Hope all is well.

10. fernylees12

fernylees12 New Egg

Jan 7, 2017
    Yeppoon QLD Australia
    Thanks all, She is looking good this morning, Eating, Chirping and seems OK with the unusual marks she's got. They are all dried up and appear to be bald spots.
    Mum and sibling are cool with her strange appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by