red face BO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JBC RANCH, May 13, 2010.

1. JBC RANCH

JBC RANCH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    My wife and I are new to the chicken craze, so we need your help!! We lost a 14 wk old BO last week. I noticed she was not feeling well and picked her up, when I did clear fluid came out of her mouth. We put her in a seperate cage and within 24 hrs she was gone. She had very red skin around the eyes and beak and ear lobe. This morning I find another BO the same way. Was not feeding with the rest of the flock when I opened the coop door. I have put her in hospital cage and put out yogurt for her. Does anyone know what I'm dealing with? Thanks

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have no idea - is it possible to post a couple pictures with different views of her face?

Bump

3. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    What are they eating? How does her crop feel? Any smell from the fluid? Is the red face different than the red faces on the other BO's? This is about the time they start to get red faces and combs naturally. Pics would be helpfull.

4. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    The red around her face is normal it means that they are about to lay an egg. But the stuff coming out of her mouth is not. [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Did not even think of the maturing face - I guess it could be. [​IMG] Mine do not get red faces at 14 weeks - closer to 20/22 weeks.

6. hkwdesign

hkwdesign Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    NE Massachusetts
    I too have a chicken (Bantam Buff Brahma) that gets a red face, and then it goes away, but it happens everyday. None of the others have this issue. She is 10 weeks old and I've noticed it only about the last couple of weeks - they all are on organic starter mash. I also give them organic yogurt everyday, but I don't see a connection to diet, but maybe it is? Today I just started everyone on Organic grower mash.

Any ideas? She seems very healthy & friendly.

7. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by