Red feet after lots of rain.

Blueicebird

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Watkins Glen
Some of my chooks have redish rashes on their feet. I think this was caused by all the rain we have been having and their coop being mucky. I put down fresh bedding to help with the mudd, though it still is raining, and do to a coyote sighting recentally I am keeping them penned for now.

Question is, is there anything else I can do for them? Some cream I can get? They arn't bleeding, just redish on the bottome.

It sounds like you are trying to nail the problem...also I'd rule out wet bedding in the coop irritating their feet.

"Cracked feet and foot dermatitis may be pantothenic acid or biotin deficiency, but scaly leg is caused by mites. Footpad dermatitis and hock lesion are often caused by poor litter conditions."

This is from this website:
http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/chapter_v.htm

The "poor litter conditions" might just be the wet run. I live with mud a lot too, lol!!! I expand my run with a little temporary fencing as needed so they can get on some grass to clean their feet. Then I move it after it is chewed down.

Last edited:
I'm having this same problem. Its been raining and cold for four days straight and one of my BO hens has redness between her toes and on the sides of her feet. She is still getting around fine and does not appear to be very bothered by it. I've been adding new bedding to the coop and have had a tarp over it, but it is still sort of wet. They will go in the coop if its pouring rain, but if its just drizzling and muddy they will continue to range in my back yard because if I don't at least open the door and give them the option in the morning they will scream about it all day.

I'm guessing by all the posts i've seen about this it is just irritation from all the moisture, but just adding my two cents and confirming that I am having the same situation. I'll just keep adding bedding and hope for a sunny day soon to really dry the coop out.

I'm so glad to see these posts because I'm having the same issue! My Orpington has redness on her feet and legs and I couldn't figure out what it is. I thought maybe mites, but there are no other symptoms or signs. We live in the Pacific Northwest and this time of year there is very rarely dryness. She doesn't seem to be irritated or uncomfortable, but naturally the redness has me a little worried.

Back
Top Bottom