1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red feet & scaley legs - HELP - Normal or NOT?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heybarb, Sep 13, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have 2 questions...the first has to do with my bantam buff cochin. I noticed a few days ago that he has quite a bit of redness on his legs and feet. He is 6 months old, free ranges all day. The coop has sand mixed w/DE inside. Because of all his feathers, I had a hard time getting pictures, but here are a few that I took this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2nd question has to do with one of my hens. She's a leghorn mix, 6 months old. She has some funny spots on the front of her "ankles." Here's a picture I took this afternoon:

[​IMG]

So, is this normal or not? If not, any ideas on what it is or how to treat it? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Part of the redness on your rooster is from plucking feathers out, it happens in feather legged breeds. But most of it is just from his age - males legs turn red when they get close to breeding age.

Not sure about the pullets legs - I haven't seen that before.

3. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the input. I think I was more worried about the rooster, so thanks for your thoughts. It's nice to know that it's OK.

Neither one seems real serious, so I guess I'll just keep my eyes on them and see if they get worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by