1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Feet????? *UPDATED to add pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jay13, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    I wasn't sure where to post this so figured I would put it here....
    I was out watching my birds who are finally maturing the other day and noticed that the bottoms of their feet are turning pink/red. Normally they are yellow or mottled with dark spots depending on the bird, I am going to try and take a pic If I can get the silly birds to sit still long enough.

Has anyone ever heard of this? What could be causing this? They free range in my orchard during the daylight hours and otherwise eat leftover veg from the grocery store and 16% layer pellets (can't keep the roos out of them even if I tried) Any ideas? Thanks!

Jay

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    It just sounds like hormones in action. Without a pic, it's hard to tell.

3. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    ok, its kinda hard to see in this pic but look at the bottom of the one foot you can see... the bottom (and to a point it creeps up onto the webbing between the toes) has turned a pinkish orange almost red. I didn't know hormones would cause color changes like that?
    thanks again for the help

[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BR roosters legs turn red down the side when they're maturing. It's natural

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by