Red feet...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MrChicken095, Nov 15, 2014.

1. MrChicken095

MrChicken095 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Oregon
    Hey BYC! I have a problem...my chicken Ginger has RED FEET! Here in Oregon, temperature has dropped by a lot. The average temp. is high 40's low 20's. SO, I have recently noticed that my buff orpington, Ginger, has red feet. I was wondering if this was normal or...if I have to use Vaseline or something...I don't know. Thank you!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    A photo would help. Can't guess much without it, sorry.

Best wishes.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, we need a photo. Could be the beginning of frostbite or something else.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Photos would help. Is she limping, have you examined her feet, is she eating, acting normally?

One of my BO had pink - not red - between toes this week, was gone next day. Don't know what that was. But all I could search for issues indicates if a problem, they would not act normal, limp. If both feet truly red, could be frost bite.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How old is she? Is she laying? Chicken's feet will become hyperpigmented when they're approaching laying, or have just started laying. You may see a orange/reddish cast to their skin. Are her shanks reddish as well?

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have never noticed that, but inspect mine regularly.

7. MrChicken095

MrChicken095 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Oregon
    She isn't acting any different than before...I can't post pictures right now. But tomorrow I will be able to. Thank you all!

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Yes, its nite here as well. Chek her out tomorrow and give update.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have only known that to happen with roosters, not hens. Those never turn red. A rooster's red down the sides of the legs is a result of testosterone, a sign of sexual maturity.

1 person likes this.
  10. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Generally the red/pink you mention is a sign of good health and specifically very good peripheral circulation. Under some circumstances though it could be a sign of slight internal hemorrhage, possibly from capillary damage, internal bruising, having eaten an insect or plant that causes that, or being bitten by something that causes that (spider, snake, whatever). It could also be a rash from a plant or irritating substance or due to eating some rodenticides.

The red between toes, up the sides of the legs, etc is, as speckledhen said, a common sign of maturity for males, but I've only seen it in decently healthy birds with pale pigmentation. I believe the same is true for lazy gardener's post, I see that sort of thing in very healthy chooks but it's amazing how unhealthy a hen can be and still lay. I think these examples of pigmentation or heightened circulation really pertain more to individuals in robust health.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by