1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RED FLAMED RAW LOOKING BARE SKIN - PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 1 Farm Girl, Mar 7, 2013.

1. 1 Farm Girl

1 Farm Girl New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    Fallbrook, Ca
    I need help from some of you Chicken experts out there? I have read several other posts and no one knows the problem or have answers.
    Does anyone know what may be going on with my girl, it has been several months from late summer up to now. Loss of feathers and red irritated looking skin. I have applied Vaseline, Neosporin, aloe, & have cleaned the area with peroxide mix. I have checked for mites and all is OK. My coop and run areas are always cleaned daily. They get enough protein! Not sure if this is just caused by feather pecking...looks more like infection or allergic reaction. My Chickens don't free range and I have a rooster but he stays outside of the coop. I just noticed a few days ago one of my Barred rocks is looking red under her bum just below the vent as well and she doesn't let anyone boss her around so I don't believe anyone is pecking on her as well.
    Any assistance would be helpful,
    Farm Girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. patti17340

patti17340 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    I have 2 hens loosing feathers on the neck and chest.. trying to figure it out too. I have read that loosing vent feathers could be lice.. this is as bad as having a sick kid and not knowing what to do.. What in the world do people do when they have 60 chickens to worry about?

3. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    They use NuStock from Atwoods, or their homemade version of it and it goes away, unless the bird is just molting. Seems like yours needs some NuStock. Shouldn't be molting for this length of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by