Red foot? Bumble foot? Something else?

Roosts: 2x4s laid on the flat side and not high. And what they jump down onto from the roosts...soft material.

Thats what I use now, is 2x4, with the larger side that they stand on. The roosts are too high, but we will be redoing them here shortly. :)

Okay good to know. I found this (pic) on google saying to use olive oil for SLM, so I will remember Vaseline if that ever happens. Thanks!

I will grab some fungicide tomorrow and try that.

Also, we’re re-doing their entire coop in a couple weeks. It was our first time building a coop and we definitely found all the places we went wrong lol. They will have everything new including roosts. :)

Thank you so much for all of your help!
Best of luck to you!!!

Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you! You’ve all been so helpful. I love having this forum to turn to with all my chicken questions. My friends and family think I’m weird for always talking about my chickens / caring so much lol. Glad to have so many other chicken lovers. :)

Do you often put oil on his legs?
I too think it looks like fungal or bacterial.
Is he irritating his feet/legs somehow? Look for causes.
I would first try a fungicide or fungal cream for a few days. If that doesn’t show improvement, it might not be fungal, then try something that’s a bacterial cream.
Quit the oil, it may the problem.

I forgot to reply to your other question here. Anyways, no he doesn’t really do anything to irritate his feet. His feathered feet are the only thing I can think of. He does nothing all day literally aside from keeping his girls safe lol. He’s on guard 24/7, never ever takes a break lol. Must be exhausting.

He uses the ladder we built to get down from the roost, so I don’t think he could be doing anything to it that way. I’m not sure.

here was the photo I posted about a month ago that I thought was SLM.

Attachments

• 83714D19-F6CA-422E-97F0-9B90E3354778.jpeg
    83714D19-F6CA-422E-97F0-9B90E3354778.jpeg
    738.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DAB672CE-84B0-4AFD-95AC-1DBCD0CBD610.jpeg
    DAB672CE-84B0-4AFD-95AC-1DBCD0CBD610.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 5
  • D1C547B0-262E-4662-A1C7-194B61FBB44A.jpeg
    D1C547B0-262E-4662-A1C7-194B61FBB44A.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 5
The photos you just posted do look like he’s got a touch of SLM, but also some irritation.
His leg looks much better now than the pics you just posted from the past.
I might try to see if you can get that irritation to go away on that hot spot, then finish up with any SLM treatment you were doing, cause his leg looks much better in the SLM regard, you may have a small secondary infection going on in that one spot.

Thank you! You’ve all been so helpful. I love having this forum to turn to with all my chicken questions. My friends and family think I’m weird for always talking about my chickens / caring so much lol. Glad to have so many other chicken lovers. :)
Raising chickens is a hopeless addiction, there is no cure for the love we have for our Fowl addiction! :)

Attached picture I circled the only place that looks like bumble foot. It's still small, so better to deal with it now than let it get big. Since it's small I would either soak in epsom salts for 20-30 minutes to soften it, or apply decolorized iodine (any drug store) and wrap overnight, that will also soften it. Then remove all pus, spray with vetericyn let dry, then fill with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment and wrap the toe/foot (you will likely have to wrap the foot to keep the toe covered. A bit of non-stick pad and vet wrap/co wrap. Alternately you can do daily soaks in tricide neo, that may work since it's small. A couple of links below with more info on taking care of that toe. I see a lot of broken feather shafts on his legs, so that may be the problem there. I had a brahma roo that was constantly breaking feathers on his feet/legs doing normal roo things and his legs were always mildly irritated. I started wrapping his legs gently for periods of time and they would clear up, and then eventually they would get irritated again. I particularly wrapped when he had pin feathers coming in as he would break them and I'd have to pull blood feathers to stop the bleeding. I've had other feather footed birds that did not have any issues, with that particular bird it was pretty chronic. And since he's so large, and heavy, I would definitely look at your roosts and height of them, jumping too far for him is going to contribute to foot/leg injuries, including bumble foot.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi
https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2013/11/09/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/
Inkedbumbleroo1_LI.jpg

I don't believe your roo was just normal at all! Always watching the hens but keeping an eye on you as well. The looks he gives you..,,, he's a lover not a fighter. Always tripping over his feet feathers! Am I wrong? Wonderful rooster!

Back
Top Bottom