Red (Fox) Alert!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Feb 16, 2013.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    My sister apparently saw a red fox enter our woods just down the road from our driveway. I've been running our 3 big dogs in the woods near the chicken yard about every 20 minutes since then, thinking that maybe the dog-scent would scare the fox away. Will this work? The dogs have been 'pottying' over there when I take them, if that helps.

My run is not covered (it's 50x100 feet with lots of trees), but the bottom of the fence is secure. It's all 2x4 inch welded wire. Will a fox climb? The fence is only 4' at the back, 6-7' elsewhere. We're planning on making the rest 6-7' tall over the summer, but I have fence available now and could do it today. Will that help deter a fox?

Is there anything else I can do as a deterrent?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    If youre really worried, put out a humane trap set out. But I think if the dogs are being extremly loud, you might scare the fox away. Please cover your coop [​IMG]

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I have a live trap that I've used with problem raccoons, but I had heard that foxes don't fall for them. Is that true?

It really isn't possible for me to cover my chicken yard. Most of it is wooded, with some really tall trees and a big, bushy cedar in the middle. (That, and I don't have the funds to cover a 50x100 foot run at the moment.)

The dogs have been running around and rustling through the leaves. I'm hoping that's enough noise. We walked a little ways into the woods where my sister said she saw the fox enter, and I don't see any signs of it. Anywhere. At all. Beginning to wonder if sister is seeing things... :confused:

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Turning into our lane a couple of months ago a fox crossed the road right in front of us. It ran across our yard and straight toward the chicken house. [​IMG]

I haven't seen him since, nor have I lost any birds, rabbits, cats, pigeons, etc,...

I think it is wise to be alerted to threats, but don't worry yourself sick... You may never see it again.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've caught many fox with cage traps. You can get fancy and use Mark June lures or get a half can of tuna to use as bait. The only fox I know of that are good climbers would be the Kit Fox. Foxes like to dig, so a low hot wire around the yard or burying wire fence a foot or so with an right angle facing out around the yard would stop digging. Even so, if you are out inspecting the yard every day, you'd notice digging from the outside. What you're doing with the dogs and making life unpleasant for them is a good deterrent. I know when I've lost a bird to predators, I get vengeful, so having a trap on hand controls populations.

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, I shall add to my summer projects to bury some fence along the run. :) Ground's frozen right now, so maybe I'll just lay some wire along the ground a few feet. I may also set the live trap tonight and see what I get. I'll be closing the hennies in their secure coop for the night before too much longer and then I can at least rest. This is the first fox that has ever been spotted on our property here, even in the 8 years I've had chickens, so I was definitely worrying about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by