Red Fox is screwing with me

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LIBERTYNY, Mar 22, 2012.

1. LIBERTYNY

LIBERTYNY Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    NY
    I have a red fox that has taken 2 chickens on me.
    I can hear him outside almost every night, I set cage traps and he just steals the bait every time. i set leg hold traps , the traps get sprung but he some how gets away? ? Whats next poisen ? Claymore ?
    Anyone have any ideas any and all are appreciated .

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i vote claymore lol they are sneaky so i wish you luck.

3. jeepguy982001

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Maybe try tying the bait down behind the trigger pan maybe with the extra effort he'll set it off.

4. LIBERTYNY

Oct 1, 2011
    NY
    yea I already tried that as well as securing the trap to the ground - I cant figure out how he's getting the bait without trigering the door ? I am thinking of useing nicotine as poisen Unless some one knows where I can get strychnine or something

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    You might take a gander at this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/232969/modifications-for-standard-havaharts-save-time

However, unless you have a larger live trap these guys are Very Wary of entering smaller ones (infrequent catches).

I've shot more than I've trapped (they're pretty brazen and if run off will usually return within the hour to take another look). If you are in the woods go out and look for the cache site(s) - piles of feathers - usually the den is within a couple hundred yards (they like South facing hillsides).

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. jeepguy982001

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i don't know which trap your using maybe attach the bait to the trigger plate.

7. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    like Ivan said, it would have to be a larger than normal cage trap, and completely cover the wire bottom with pine needles or leaves, then secure your bait to the back of the trap. As for leg holds it could be a big dog tripping it and not getting caught. Best advise is to shoot it, foxes aren't near as easy to live trap as coons, opossoms or skunks

8. LIBERTYNY

Oct 1, 2011
    NY
    I have a trap that is rated for fox, however it seems small to me (for fox) 14 by 16 about 3' long . I already orderd the larger cage trap , lure, and a game camera. This fox is on my nerves I have either seen him or evidence of him every night

THANK YOU

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If legal, sit out with .22 rifle near bait-station. My red fox seems to pretty regular in rounds so weight should not be all that prolonged.

Also upgrade roost. Until last year I did not have a dog in present location. Foxes were denied access at night by roosting locations higher than 9 feet and for ground nesting juveniles they are simply covered with a coop making certain birds > 6 inches from wire. Fox still made nightly rounds but since birds not accessible it invested effort on small rodents and rabbits instead.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Reds have no set schedule beyond `food at point `a' at time `b'" They prefer the dark but, as chooks/turks in this area are out and about during day, they can be seen stalking/lurking from dawn to dusk (and vice versa - when there are kits it's usually a 24/7 show starring the pair of adults). Nearly every attempted/successful grab in this area has been just after dawn/between 4pm-7pm.

Watched one circle the 6ft. run fencing over and over and over from the back door before retiring it. Really keep all birds locked down at night (coons/coyotes - foxes? not so much).

Yes, you mentioned poison in first post. I prefer metallic lead, myself. However, perform a search on Golden Malrin. If you have the time and interest, Reds tend to follow along fence lines, the side of roads/streams, on approach and retreat (easy to ID scat/hair). Snares along fence lines where you've IDed sign can be effective as well. I'd suggest leaving at least two live traps (we use three) set and baited on likely approaches at all times. As I mentioned in the thread, linked to above, you can't keep preds from arriving, but you can sure knock down the overall frequency of predation so one doesn't lose as many chooks if free ranging.

Live traps will take the kits easily and their yips will call in the adults - if you have a recording device record that yipping/trans to CD, etc.- if you see adult in area set a player out near aim point and play loop of distressed kit - (and that is that).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by