Red Gold Sex Link Looks like a Cockerel

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by papadekaitlyn, Aug 20, 2008.

1. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I bought 15 golden comets from the Co-Op this spring. (also referred to as gold sex link and I believe red sex link)

The hens are an orange color at hatching and turn a rust color as they mature. The cockerels are white upon hatching and stay pretty much white as they mature.

I'll try to get a picture of the one I am questioning this evening, but it is an orange bird, but it has a much larger comb than the rest and much larger wattles...

I seem to remember reading that a gold comet is a RIR crossed with a New Hampshire... Could the comb and wattles just be a trait of it's RIR heritage?

Or could this just be a shaver red that got mixed in? [Saw the shaver reds in the breeds section]

I'll add an image this evening.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Image would help. But if they are near point of lay, their combs and wattles will grow and get large/bright red. Might not have anything to worry about. If you got them in the spring, it's about time for them to mature. Boys would have had a big comb at a few months and started to crow most likely.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Yes, a pic will help greatly for us to help you out. I have Golden Reds (aka red sex links) and they are beautiful. They are good layers to.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Golden comets are a cross between a White Rock hen and a New Hampshire Red rooster. Their combs and wattles are definitely roo-ish looking when they are getting ready to lay.

5. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    These are my 'normal' hens: (there are 13 just like this)

[​IMG]

And this is the oddball:

[​IMG]

6. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I should mention I did get my first egg this morning. A picture of it is posted in the First Eggs thread...

They are all going on 16 weeks. Currently 3 months: 3 weeks

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    My Goldie looks just like your oddball, except with more white feathers in the back. And she is definitely all girl. She's been sitting in the nest box and squatting when I pet her. Also my cockeral keeps mounting her, so apparently he knows she's close to laying. I'm not sure why she's the only one he's picking on, since I have several others that are as close as she is.

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Does look like a roo and very well may be, but remember, chickens grow at different stages and rates. I have some hens with hardly any cone or wattle and then I have hens the same age with big cones and wattles. So this chicken could be a she or a he. I guess you'll find out for sure if it "crows". LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  9. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Okay, here is an illustration of a Golden Comet rooster from Mt. Healthy's website:

[​IMG]

If you still think you have a rooster, then it isn't a Golden Comet. Here is a picture of my GC pullet taken at a little over 16 weeks. She's almost 18 weeks now and her wattles are almost twice as big.
    [​IMG]

10. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I knew that GC roosters are supposed to be white. That's why I questioned whether it was a true GC or if another breed got mixed in. I am convinced it is actually a hen now. It is probably the one that laid the egg I found yesterday morning...

No eggs today though...

The thing about my roo is that he mounts just about every other hen besides the one with a comb... lol

Oh well, I am building a seperate yard for him this weekend so my girls can get some relief from his CONSTANT harrassment... I think they'll all get along a little faster then. They have to be stressed.

I didn't really want to put him in with them, but I couldn't keep him closed up in the small roost he was in that I used as a brooder this spring. Once I get a small yard built for him, out he goes...

Thanks for the comments and clarification...

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by