Red Golden Chick - Roo or Hen

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by oleduke, Jun 12, 2010.

1. oleduke

oleduke In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    This is one of six Red Golden chicks that I hatched this year, and I wanted to see if the experts can help me sex it. I call it peepers because that is all it does. So, what do you think; male, female, or to young to tell?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. bluegoose

bluegoose Songster

Mar 25, 2010
    Hello, I Am No Expert But I Would Say Its A Male.

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    X2

4. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    ok I have just gotten 4 of these and was wondering what makes you all think male? Thanks!!

5. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Songster

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Males have a bluish eye as a baby while females have a brown eye.

6. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    Too early to tell.
    your jumping the gun alittle.
    Mike

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I need to find out myself. I started hatching in January, & finally finished this morning. I took off to my cousins house, while my DW stayed home & dissasembled the incubator. I called her & told her to stop, but I was too late. She re-assembled it again, because I brought home 65 peafowl, & 68 Red Golden pheasant eggs. Here we go again! My cousin knows I'm a sucker for birds. That'll make a great addition to the other 100 plus birds I already have.

8. ninejw

ninejw Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    ct ri border
    My best guess is male.

9. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Songster

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
  10. oleduke

oleduke In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    I was looking for that topic but I couldn't find it; Thanks bandbaustin. However, it still only helps me when they are around 6 months of age or so. By that age I can tell the difference. I will try to post more updated pictures ASAP but for now can anyone confirm this: are all of them born with a blue eye and then change to match their sex albeit roo or hen?

The reason I ask that question is because all 6 of these were born with blue eyes, and since this is the 1st year I am keeping what I hatched it never mattered to me what eye color they had as chicks. I have now noticed 2 that have a slight brown beginning to show around the iris while the other 4 remain the same steadfast blue.

Sorry to ask again but do the hens turn brown as they age? We all know the roo's change to Gold as they mature. I know time will tell me for sure but I was just wondering.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by