1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

red golden hen?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pbjmaker, Jul 29, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    This is the sole survivor of a June 6th hatch. She? lives with my silkie chick. Excuse my unmade bed [​IMG] Just verifying that she is a she and a red golden.

[​IMG]

With her best bud ( they will be separated as soon as they go outside)

[​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Appears To Be Red Golden Hen Juvenile

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I don't know if it's a hen.The iris looks a little light to me,but it could be a bad angle.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. utah impeyan

utah impeyan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    central utah
    Looks like a cock bird to me.

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Do they start getting the eye patches around 8 weeks old like the ringnecks? I could start telling who were the boys were in the batch of ringneck X's around this age. S/he is about 7 weeks now.

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It's the iris,around the eye ball not around the eye itself.This birds iris looks to be greyish.This makes it a male.The females iris would be brown.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I will go look at her - I know the camera can mess with colors sometimes. so grey = male and brown = female. S/he is not actually as gold as the camera makes her look either. The feathers are a little more dull with the exception of his/her tail.

ETA: In "real life" they are definitely a golden brown - no grey in them at all.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. Da chicken farm

Da chicken farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I have three golden pheasants, and they are scardy cats! I know that the woman we bought them from said that a brown eyed pheasant is a girl, and the blueish eyed are boys. So if im not mistaken then that little pheasant (which is adorable by the way) is a girl.

9. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You better take a closer look.I can see gray around the iris,not brown.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

10. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    this would be a female....notice under the eye there is no bald tear drop looking thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    there is a male and if you can see the bald spot that looks like a teardrop directly under its eye...not sure y the picture is not all the way done...this is just what people have shared with me hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by