Red golden pheasant at pet store.

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by emsevers, Jan 30, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I went to a pet store in town today that's known for having exotic animals like walabies and huge turtles and crazy looking lizards. I went up to where they keep all their birds and they had a red golden pheasant (I think that's what it was called) in a cage all by itself. It was not for sale. But I was really curious why they would keep a single pheasant in a pet store. It is an extremely beautiful bird. I've never seen one up close before. I can't believe how beautiful they are. Just thought I'd share and see if any has any idea why a pet store would be keeping a pheasant.

2. SilverM0on

SilverM0on Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Oregon
    yea im in oregon to and saw a golden pheasant to in a pet store last week wonder f we went to the same place
    i pitied the poor bird he was in very dirty glass cage on the second floor
    beautiful brd trough
    as for why they keep it.. probably because it sell
    ts much cheaper then a parrot and more colorful... people dont think when they buy pet sometime.. that want something alive and beautiful/cute thats all, i think they sold it around 175$

3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Awful stories. Most pet stores don't care... as long as you have the money.

Dan

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    And we have to go through the permits to raise these birds.Blood testing and square foot per bird.Where is that in a pet store?And their price?WOW,I can't get 25.00 for mine.But then tree huggers want to question our ability to raise ornamental birds.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Don't pheasants let out really awful screams? Or is that peacocks? There was one that lived miles away from me when I was a kid in Alabama and you could hear that thing scream from that far away. It used to scare the heck out of me because it sounded like a woman being murdered, until someone told me it was a bird letting out that bloodcurdling cry.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thats a peacock.A friend of mine raises them and across the street fromhim is an elderly housing unit.One of the teneants called the cops and said that man is beating on his wife over here.Well of course the cops showed up,questioned everyone there and no one had been beaten on.The cops couldn't take no for an answer until the peacock let out a scream and they apologised and said have a good day.They sound just like they are calling"heeelp".They all got a big laugh out of it after they convinced the cops that no one was getting a beating.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Why would they keepa pheasant inside in a cage, are they not wild birds, they are not house birds???[​IMG]

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Hey...I hug trees and raise ornamental birds! They both make the world more beautiful.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they have him alone, because spring is near, and with all the light, and heat in the building, they may start to mate, and if they do that, the boy gets very mean towards the hen, and people. and they have him alone cause noone would want the "plain" looking hen [​IMG]

ALL birds are outside birds,, even parakeets,, so theres not much difference in having a inside pheasant,,,,, their calls arent loud at all, even a ringneck is WAY louder then a golden.

10. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    There are several pheasants listed on craigslist today and I wondered what a good price might be. He says make an offer. They're '07 trios and an '06 pair. diff colors listed, but i know nothing about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by