1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Golden Pheasant chicks [NEW PHOTOS]

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by reallemons1, May 20, 2008.

1. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I let my pheasant hen set and they hatched. 6 little chicks. Mom was doing fine but I didn't find and fix all of the very little places chicks could excape, so for their safety I took them after finding all of the excapees. Hen wasn't very happy. Here they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are 4 chipmunk colors and 2 are a solid with yellow under the neck. For anyone who knows, could this mean they are not pure? What color should they be? I have never seen Red Golden chicks before.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey that is pretty cool! [​IMG] Great job!

I don't know anything about phesants except they are pretty, so sorry can't help ya.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    cute they look so much different then ringnecks. are they also very small too?

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Very interesting, the two dark ones look like the Dark-throated mutation. Perhaps one of the parents is carrying the Dark-throated gene (http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/golden.html). There is much debate on the origin of the Dark-throated mutation and ongoing studies to determine if Amherst were used in their "creation". The other chicks look really good, as normal Goldens should. Can you post some pics of the adults?

Dan

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    They are cute. I want to upgrade and get some pheasants some day. But I don't want to build an aviary right now.

6. reallemons1

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Ticks, they are really tiny, a little smaller than bantums.
    Dan, I'll try to get some parent pix today. They are skittish so don't know how good they'll be. The female is a 2 year old and the male is a yearling, so he hasn't colored in yet.
    Thanks for the info. Thats neat, I think, 2 different colors.

7. reallemons1

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Here are pix of the parents and the 2 different colors of chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Are they red goldens? I thought the male had more red and yellow on him?

I really want some. I need to make a pen for them, and get some eggs! I've wanted Red Goldens for so long.

9. reallemons1

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    He is 1 year old. They color in at 2 years old. He has a few red and gold feathers. Can't wait till he gets more.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Oh, thanks. I guess I need to do some reading before I get started [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by