Red Golden Pheasant, how do I take care of him??

kbell

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
Chickamauga GA

My questions are how do I take care of this guy? I just got him on Tuesday and want to take care of him the right way. He is my first Pheasant.

For example..what kind of housing does he need?

What do I feed him?

Can he live with a Peahen through the winter?

Thank you in advance.

My questions are how do I take care of this guy? I just got him on Tuesday and want to take care of him the right way. He is my first Pheasant.

For example..what kind of housing does he need?

What do I feed him?

Can he live with a Peahen through the winter?

Thank you in advance.

Not to be condescending, unless it was an emergency rescue, I think all of the questions you have just posted should have been researched before you acquired the bird - same go for any animal. It's the responsible thing to do - research, research, research, and just when you think you're done researching, I guarantee you find more!! The are no experts in the animal world, we learn something new everyday, just people who are knowledgeable. These are basic care questions that, as I said unless a emergency rescue, you shouldn't need to ask in a forum or find a new home for the bird. Getting any animal for a "good price" and not knowing it's care just isn't responsible. If you were offered a Carmine Bee-eater for $10, would you take it?

Dan

Last edited:
Hi,

I also have a Red Golden trio in a 12x6x6 pen. I have perches and partially solid roof (the rest is fencing). The pen is pretty exposed otherwise, should I build a little shed/house for them, or a fort out of sticks? I live in Boston and we get some pretty decent snow in the winter months. I just can't imagine not giving them something to hide under and take cover. Right now the pen is pretty bare.

I have stayed with the game crumbles, but are there any vegetables or fruits that they like?

Lastly, in the spring when they start mating again, what should I put in the pen to encourage egg laying (other than some Barry White music and candles)?

Does anyone have photos they can share?

Thank you!

A shed wouldn't hurt, my pheasants all have an enclosed shelter they can hide in. As for treats, blueberries, mealworms and some vegetable greens are good foods. For nesting (and just in general wouldn't hurt either) give them lots of cover and hiding places. Pine boughs leaned against each other and other parts of the pen make them feel safe. You can also make wooden frames and set them on the ground with some leaf litter for the hen to lay in. If they're in a hidden spot she will often take to it. Keep an eye on the cock bird so he doesn't become aggressive to the hens and if there are any chicks born you'll have to move him out completely or he will likely kill them.

Yes,he can be housed with your peahen.Both peafowl and pheasants should not be housed or near chickens or turkeys.Chickens and turkeys can give pheasants diseases that will kill them.Their pen has to be covered on the top,either with wire or anything that will keep them dry.They need perches,gamebird feed for both,not layer pellets,gamebird feed,fresh water.They should be wormed 2 times per year.
You really should have read up on these before you got them.They are simple to care for,but you should have some clue as to care for them.They both love fruits and veggies,wild bird seed,peanuts(unsalted only)mealworms,crickets,and have grit available to them at all times.
Do you have predators in your area?Foxes,coyotes,racoons,etc.
In N.H.,Tony.

That is really a beautiful golden pheasant you have there
smile.png
. The coloring on the feathers are very bright. Do you just have that one male, maybe you should get him a hen for Spring? As for what to feed him, a good Game bird crumble feed would be fine, try supplementing the diet with grains, vegetables and fruits. He should be fine to stay with a peahen for the winter, he may fight come spring. Plus she will keep him company for the winter, just don't crossbreed the two in Spring.

I'm not sure what the housing would be, Someone with better knowledge on this will let you know!

Hope this helps!

Peafowl and pheasants cannot breed.They can be housed together for years.They should both have mates and all can live together as long as their pen is big enough.A 12x 12 should be okay,but bigger is always better,and have several perching areas.
In N.H.,Tony.

Tony, I have done research on the Peafowl and know how to take care of them. I have 4 Peafowl already and got these 3 this week so I know how to care for my Peas.
hu.gif
My question was pertaining to the Pheasant. I just found him for a good price this week and didn't want to pass him up. The people had him with the Peahen and that was why I asked that question, if it would be ok for them to house together for the winter. I plan on having him a place of his own in the spring with a hen of his own.
We have some predators but I have Great Pyrs and Anatalion Shepherds on the grounds around all of the bird areas so not any issues so far.
Thanks Birdman, I am proud to have him.
love.gif

Would a 3 sided area be good for him, something to keep the wind off of him? I have netting on all of the tops with tarps on some for shade and rain protection. I was also wondering if he needs a place like a house to go in when it does get cold. Thanks

Sorry I jumped to the conclusion that you bought them on a wim and didn't know nothing about them.As I said previously peafowl and pheasants can be housed together permenantly provided the pen is big enough.Their perches should be placed where no wind can blow on them.I use to cover my entire pen in the winter months,and found that it just screwed up their breeding and laying season.Now I just poly the top 3' of their pen and breeding and laying is great.The top is covered year round.I just put a metal roof on,so now I don't have to worry about rain and snow.I used to use a construction poly for the roof.The 1st time I used it ,I got 4 years of use out of it.This last time I didn't get 2 years,so I figured in the long run that metal would be more cost effiecent.I also put a wire apron around the bottom the their pen so predators can't dig in.I lay it right on top of the lawn and let the grass grow up throught it,and it's held down with tent stakes,this way you can mow the grass as you would if there was nothing there.You don't even know there's wire there.This is a pic of my pens a few years back.I have added 3 more pens on the left of side,so the total is 12'x84'.There are 14 6x12 pens and inside 8 of them,there are 5 3x6 and 3 6x6 offground pens used for young birds.
In N.H.,Tony.

Have you ever heard of a problem with male red golden and apeacockof any type male Tony? I was just curious is all. I have a friend that put a bornean with a Java and it worked with one but it was almost a disaster with his oldest one. Love your avatar. Aint tried them yet!
Hope all is well with you and yours Shawn

Back
Top Bottom