Red Golden Pheasant

birdlady8

Hatching
Jun 24, 2017
Hello All birdlovers!
I am new and would like to find out as much info as possible for my newly adopted/rescued red golden pheasant. He is approx 2 years old and I got him from Multnomah County animal shelter. He was found dumpster diving at a nearby hospital so we have no history on him, luckily the avian vet we took him to indicated he is very healthy and looking good!
I've had him a little over two months and he has somewhat adjusted to his 10 by 10 by 6' enclosure.
Its not set up for the winter and our family is renting our home and am not sure if we can take our beloved "Flash" with us given we are being involuntarily displaced due to extensive mold remediation work our landlord is needing to do without us living here.
If we are forced to finding an appropriate and suitable home for him, we want him to first and foremost have a quality life and possibly breeding opportunities.
Is anyone familiar with any non profit local bird/pheasant rescue, breeders or pheasant breeders association in the Oregon area?
I'm also looking for recommendations on what to use to cover this enclosure which is not yet predator proof. Right now it has just a canvas cover. Would netting, chicken wire or cyclone fencing work the best? I certainly don't want him trying to fly upward and injure himself nor do I want coyotes, cats, raccoons or other critters to get him at night. I currently "crate" him inside this enclosure at night so he is currently safe but he likes to roost on branches at night and I want him to be able to safely do this. Any ideas?

Last edited:
They are very cold hardy birds and winter temps will not bother them.A covered pen either with wood or metal roofing works great and hardware cloth on the sides will stop anything from getting in.An apron around the perimeter will stop the diggers from getting in.You only need the apron out 1 1/2 feet from the bottom of the pen going out.I set mine right on top,stake it down and let the grass grow thru it so you don't even see it.Pic of my pen.
The only person listed in Or with goldens is Everett Carleton in Canyonville.I'm sure there is more but he is the only one listed in APWs directory.
In N.H.,Tony.

Attachments

• 100_0407.JPG
    100_0407.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1356.JPG
    100_1356.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 13
They are very cold hardy birds and winter temps will not bother them.A covered pen either with wood or metal roofing works great and hardware cloth on the sides will stop anything from getting in.An apron around the perimeter will stop the diggers from getting in.You only need the apron out 1 1/2 feet from the bottom of the pen going out.I set mine right on top,stake it down and let the grass grow thru it so you don't even see it.Pic of my pen.
The only person listed in Or with goldens is Everett Carleton in Canyonville.I'm sure there is more but he is the only one listed in APWs directory.
In N.H.,Tony.
Hi Tony, thanks for your helpful response! forgive my ignorance - could you explain the apron and how that works? ie is this something that is buried in the ground from the inside or outside the pen or just attached to the bottom of the outside and if so couldn't the critters just dig under it? Also APW? what is this did a search nothing relevant came up. Thanks:)

An apron is wire that goes around the perimeter of the pen from the base out.You can bury it but it's just as useful on top of the ground.It goes on the outside attached to bottom of pen.APWS is American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society.www.apwsbirds.com
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom