Red Golden Pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Wolf-Kim, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I absolutely think these are some of the most beautiful pheasants I have seen. I have read a little about them, but I want your personal opinion about these. I won't be able to have any, any time soon, but I hope to have some one day.

What are the pros and cons about these guys?

Could they stay in a large aviary with peafowl?

How temperature hardy are they?

My hope is to have a large outdoor aviary one day, with different species of ornamental fowl. Kind of like a garden of feathers and flowers. We'll see though, it will be quite a while before that happens. Still research, dreaming, and planning never hurt anything.

Do they breed and brood well?

Thanks everyone.

-Kim

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I think goldens are by far the easiest to raise. They get along good, you don't have to bit them, and they are extremely hearty. I haven't let my brood, as I incubate the eggs, but if you have room for them, like a large fly pen with some cover for them, they will do fine. I have mine with chuckars with no problems.

3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:What does "bit them" mean? LOL. Letting my ignorance show.. haha

-Kim

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    a bit is a small piece of plastic that clips on to the birds beak to prevent cannabalism. They are more comminly used on Ringnecks, my ringnecks haven't pecked eachother yet [​IMG]

5. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Ohhh, okay! I have seen those. They are also called "peepers" or "blinders", correct?

It is good to know that I will not have to bit them, it takes away from their beauty. But then again, I understand that a live bird always looks better than a bird that was canabalized, anyday.

It is good to know that you think they are some of the easiest to raise.

-Kim

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
  7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    LOL. Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me, ticks..

I appreciate it!

-Kim

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    no problem [​IMG]

9. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I agree. Red goldens are not only beautiful but are great for the first-time pheasant owner. And they tame very easily. I used to have a pair that would eat from my hand - I could almost reach out and pet him. They are even not real aggressive amongst each other - I have had more than 1 male sharing the same pen with hens also in the same pen. Everyone always seemed to get along just fine.

If you like them and think you want them I say go for it - they are a great way to get in to a whole new addiction [​IMG]

10. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Pros - Small size, docile, easy care, beautiful, tameness
    Cons - Finding pure and unrelated birds; Goldens are very common in aviculture, but good birds are hard to find. There have been some importations of new bloodlines in the last several years.

Quote:As long as it's large with lots of cover and places for the pheasants to escape if the peafowl become aggressive.

Quote:Cold temps are not an issue, the hot summer months are the hardest time on them. They are forest species, provide lots of shade.

Quote:Good birds will, fun to watch the family interact.

Our golden page - http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/golden.html

Quote:Getting along has nothing to do with it, you don't have to bit any species of pheasant if housed properly. Awful devices.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by