Red Golden - Yellow Golden - Lady Amherst Quick Question

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Jay-Mar28, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I have a large pen right now with the red golden's inside i have 2 males and 5 hens with no trouble so far as the one male is a youngin. i was wondering if this is safe to do with the yellow's and Lady's once i pick up some hens for their own pens.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If your pen is big enough you may be okay.There is enough hens for both males,but keep an eye on them.If you can,I'd get a few more hens for each species.Try 6 or 8 if you can,but again pen space is needed for all.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I keep mine separate during breeding season but have never seen much aggressiveness with the goldens if one slips through the door into another pen. My amhearst males however will nail another male in a second. I don't even run any of them together in the winter. Could just be my birds but I would be very cautious.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I use to do the same thing,keep all the males in 1 side of the barn and the hens in the other.Thinking when I put them outside during breeding season the males were going to town.Boy was I wrong!They all looked like they were afraid of each other and it took a while before they would go near each other,and very few fertile eggs.From then on I left them in their pens together and there were no problems and fertility was good.I guess it's just the spring air that arouses them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by