Red heat bulbs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 13, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi,
    Somebody said that the big 250 watt red heat bulbs really suck up the electricity, what about that? I have decided to use one because it seems so much softer that the reg light, plus it will help prevent picking too! What do you think about this?

Thanks!

2. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I would think that 250 watts is 250 watts no matter what color the glass is, right?

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Go to Walmart or a Menards, they both have red bulbs in 85 watts which puts out enough heat...

4. YankeeRider

YankeeRider Chillin' With My Peeps

A 250 watt bulb will consume one kilowatt-hour every four hours. At an average electricity cost of $0.11 per kw-hr, that's 66 cents per day. Check your electric bill to see what you are paying in your area.

Jerry

5. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Plus I would think that would be pretty darn hot.

Unless it was winter.

[​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    250 watts is not a lot - the average hair blow dryer draws 5 times that.
    The thing to get with the 250W bulb is a dimmer cord, making it far more versatile.

Then you can throttle it back all the way to zero, or adjust it to max 250W output, if you desire.

You cannot do THAT with the smaller sizes.

7. Rockportcrpntr

Rockportcrpntr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Rockport MA
    I have a red IR bulb and I wired it to a dimmer I had to throttle it back big time I'm guessing more than half so it's using maybe 30 cents a day to start out then you cut back 5 degrees each week. It seems so much more effective than incandescents.

8. kevindean

kevindean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    independence Mo
    250w is too hot

9. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Hmm mine love the 250 watt and its not that hot running around 85 degrees at bottom of tub they are in and I have it right at the top of the rubber tub. They hang out under it and sleep then move over to the food and water at opposite end and play then go back and sleep....think I may need to raise the light soon though the big roo is a jumper and clumsy!! [​IMG]

10. Etakeh

Etakeh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Oregon
    250 is what we use at work for all the chicks - one lamp for each galvanized tub. Of course, the tub is big enough that they can go to the other end if they get too warm. Our chick expert prefers the red, says it's easier on the little chickie eyeballs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by